El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across repro tach filters for the 3rd Gen's? Tried Ground Up but found nothing.

The '72 SS i just bought has the tach filter on the fire wall but the wire that comes out of it to hook up to the distributor is broken off. I could try to fix it but would rather buy a new repro one.

BTW, the distributor is an HEI. From what I remember these should be the points/condenser style distributors?

Bruce

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Yeah that would still be points. I'm thinking HEI didn't get into chevies until at least 74. 73 caddies had points on everything except the 500 in the eldo and then 74 the entire line went HEI so chevy was probably not far behind. Figure caddy had a short lived "exclusive".

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You could do the pertronix in a points distributor and have the appearance of the original with the reliability of HEI.

·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got the info on the distributor, will look for one at Englishtown Swap meet in a few weeks.

Now how about a repro Tach Filter?

Someone has to have come across these? :)

·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, got some time this morning and pulled the tach filter off the firewall. I was hoping that there might be enough wire sticking out of the bottom to solder to but there is nothing on it.

It has NFT854-22 on the bracket and under that in an oval has "C D". So not sure who made these but YearOne has them but $57.99 is a just a bit pricey in my book.

So anyone else have a replacement place for these?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts