El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2004r off craigslist to put in my 72. It has a turbo350 right now. My question is, what parts am I going to need? I bought the 2004r without a converter so what converter would be recommended?
From what I understand, all I need to do for this swap is move the crossmember back and possibly drill new holes in the frame, some wiring for the lockup, and hook up the TV cable. Are there other things I need to know and prepare for?
I should add, I drive the Camino 60 miles a day, about 80% being at 70mph on the highway. The engine is a bone stock worn and tired 350, which I plan on replacing soon with mild crate 350, so this trans will never see high horsepower in front of it.
The parts I am tracking that I need are:
Lock-up wiring kit
TV bracket for my Q-jet and TV cable
different speedo gears
Can anyone add to this list?
Most info I have found doing searches has been for 4th and 5th gen and not much about 3rd gen

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after further inspection, I bought myself another th350 instead of a 2004r. i should have known how to identify properly before i bought it:(

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I think your frame has holes for a 350 and 400. The 400 holes if there, should line up the cross-member pretty good with the mount on a 2004R. You will have to have your drive shaft cut and balanced. The geometry of the kick-down linkage on your carb might have to be changed for a TV set-up. You already know about lock-up. You'll need a filler tube and stick. The governor/speedo gears will have to be matched up. But drive it first and see where your at, then you'll have to pick a governor/speedo gear to get it just right. The cooler lines will work fine. I'm not sure if your column shifter has enough travel to engage all the way to low or not. I'm sure another member knows. :beer:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. Im getting conflicting info on the driveshaft, im hearing that since I have a 350 now, I wont have to cut the driveshaft because the transmissions are the same length. I know tranny mike is the resident trans guru so Im going with what he says. Cen-tex, after that mistake I did some research to know for sure what a 2004r looks like. Luckily the guy is a decent guy and is going to take the trans back so i didnt lose anything on it, just wish I could have had a 2004r for 150 bucks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I got lucky and bought from a decent guy who realized the mistake and corrected it no questions asked. So I cant be too mad, got my money back and am on the prowl for a 2004r. Might check the junkyards tomorrow before work. About the driveshaft, I have read in multiple car magazines that there will be no need to cut it, so I guess that part will be situational-dependant.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a guy out of Austin that sells rebuilt 700-r4 starting at $525 with 12 month/12,000 mile warantee. I did a search on him and he has a pretty solid reputation around Austin so if the only added step over the 2004r is shortening the driveshaft and maybe a little fab to the crossmember, thats a heck of alot cheaper than paying around $1500 for a rebuilt 2004r:texas:

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
The driveshaft debate all depends on if you have a short tailshaft (6") or long tailshaft (9"). Mine is a long shaft, but the majority of passenger car transmissions were short shaft. These have an overall length of 27 5/8", while the 200-4R has 27 3/4". So, if you have a short one, no need to shorten the driveshaft.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
After re-reading my post, I gave you the wrong info. The 2004R will fit in without drive-line modification. You will need to move the crossmember back, but like I said earlier you may already have the holes in your frame to do that easily. I must have have been thinking of a 400 when I said the drive-line length is different, sorry. :dontknow:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I found a 200-4 rebuilt in 04 and never used.ill have shop that built it go through it to make sure the seals are ok. I pulled my diff cover off to find out I have 2.73 gears and a well worn out set of spider gears. The only gears im finding are either 3.08 or 3.42 for a 12 bolt. If I go with 3.42 would I even see a drop in rpms with the 200? I turn about 2700 at 70mph right now

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Well, I found a 200-4 rebuilt in 04 and never used.ill have shop that built it go through it to make sure the seals are ok. I pulled my diff cover off to find out I have 2.73 gears and a well worn out set of spider gears. The only gears im finding are either 3.08 or 3.42 for a 12 bolt. If I go with 3.42 would I even see a drop in rpms with the 200? I turn about 2700 at 70mph right now
You'll see a rise in RPM's if you go from 2.73 to 3.42 gears. Then once you install the 2004R they'll drop down lower than before in OD. :>) :beer:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I smell a debate brewing :) this seems like it will be the toughest decision.if I go with 3.42 and only drop a couple hundred rpm I will kick myself, if I go with 3.08 and it luggs like a dog and gives me worse mileage I will kick myself :dontknow:

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I smell a debate brewing :) this seems like it will be the toughest decision.if I go with 3.42 and only drop a couple hundred rpm I will kick myself, if I go with 3.08 and it luggs like a dog and gives me worse mileage I will kick myself :dontknow:
There is absolutely no need to debate. Just go to this website and enter the information of the different ratios and it will tell you the RPM's.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Calculators/

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found that calculator last after I posted here. Its actually fairly accurate it was only 100the rpm of what I turn now. Your absolutely right, no need to debate, 3.42 it is:):texas:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another quick question, I have column shift, what mods are required to make it able to select all the gears?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts