·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of putting a 85 350 tpi in my 72
heres the questions
fuel pump used? pusher pump, puller pump ,lift pump, in-tank pump
what or how did you run your fuel supply and return
stock tank with sending unit for fuel gauge ...or is there a late model plastic tank that will fit in the stock location
i searched this site and others as well looks like a lift pump to a pusher pump is the way to go?
also fuel cap vented or non vent?
Thanks

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
thinking of putting a 85 350 tpi in my 72
heres the questions
fuel pump used? pusher pump, puller pump ,lift pump, in-tank pump
what or how did you run your fuel supply and return
stock tank with sending unit for fuel gauge ...or is there a late model plastic tank that will fit in the stock location
i searched this site and others as well looks like a lift pump to a pusher pump is the way to go?
also fuel cap vented or non vent?
Thanks
Mine is not a 3rd gen, it is a 5th gen ('87).

First of all the pump needs to be as close to the tak as possible IF you don't go the in tank route.n

I have done the mid '80's TPI retro fit a few times and this is probably the biggest pain about the process, the fuel pump and lines besides the engine wiring. I have successfully used an external high pressure fuel pump located about 12" from the gas tank and feeding the fuel rail with the orignal 3/8" fuel line and then using the 5/16" vapor line as the return line. When I did my '87 I got "lucky" :banghead: enough to not see the return line had some nice little rust holes on the top of the tank and got the chance to do it again!

I am looking into doing the in-tank fuel pump now, just not sure what is available for the 5th gen's.

The fuel sender unit and dash gauge in mine now are stock, work well.

If I run across anything while looking for an in-tank setup, I'll pass it along.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruce
may i ask what pump you used make and part# if you have it

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Some have retrofitted late model tanks such as the b-bodywagon caprice/roadmaster, which came with throttle body or multi port pumps, which interchange. I,d go this route for reliabilityof newer factory design & better replacement part availability. There is a thread on tank swap in ls section, it's for 5th gens, but should work for you also. Also many other tpi related posts in that section that I posted in.
Most of us like me that have done efi swaps run the tank vent line high as possible & put an inline fuel filter on the end for venting. I ran f-body lines when I did my first conversion up the drivers side, but any 3/8 & 5/16" steel lines to run the route needed will work, as can fuel injection hose. The factory tpi feed line has the advantage of the factory fuel filter.

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
Thanks Bruce
may i ask what pump you used make and part# if you have it
Don't remember the exact make/model I have, but it is very close to this one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-High-Pressure-Fuel-Pump-Electric-Fuel-Pump-Roller-Vane-2225-/170872548640?hash=item27c8cc2d20&item=170872548640&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Most important part is that it creates at least 60-70 PSI and then try to match up the size of the input/output to the line you will install it in (i.e. 3/8" is usual/standard for a feed line).

Next thing is to get it connected to the fuel pump relay 12v feed from the ECM/wiring harness. I have an aftermarket Howell wiring harness which makes this really easy. I think there are some other wiring harness makers who have the same thing.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jlcustomz did you need to alter the bed of your camino to fit the top of fi tank where the pump goes
thanks for the reply

·
Registered
137 Posts

I used this part from Moroso. Cut a section out of the filler neck and clamped this in its place for the return line. Works great and hasnt leaked a drop in 3 years.
MOROSO - 65385

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Great info!!! Thanks guys:beer:

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right on thanks for the info everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts