El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 72 sprint doesn't have the original factory voltage regulator in place but I am sure the alternator is internally regulated . My voltage at idle at the fuse panel connections are 14.3 volts ,all are the same , does that sound correct or should the factory voltage regulator be re installed ?

· Registered
12,538 Posts
maybe just a little on the high side,, it will be a little higher just after you start it up..
could be the meter is off a little??
check the voltage at the battery.. the battery maybe getting weak??
could be a bad connection somewhere causing it to over charge a little..
the internal alternators are good,, i dont see a reason to go back to the old system, yet..:texas:

· Registered
4,822 Posts
I'm with Neil on this, nothing wrong with 14.3

Its just called a 12 volt system because its a nice even #.

Actually 6 cells x 2v per cell in battery but.......:dontknow:

· Registered
2,075 Posts
Full battery and car off will read 12.6

Most all of the accessories in the car want to see 14.2vdc to operate properly.
But--will still operate at slightly below 11 volts
15 -16 volts will not hurt anything for a short period.

My 59 will charge at 14.8 for a short time, but that car sits for a while between outings and has the constant draw of some equipment in the car.

14.3 at idle is great, and if it holds with al of the accessories on (lights, blower motor, stereo, etc...) then the alternator is doing it's job.

Dropping to 13 volts while running these accessories is common and nothing to worry about.
You do want to see more than 12 while driving tho.

933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the input ,I was aware the 12 volt system ran higher then 12 volts but wasn't sure about the 14.3 volt at the fuse panel , we had tons of rain this year that wreaked havoc on the electrical system , so I have a few bugs to iron out before putting the beast back on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.