El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've searched but can't seem to find it, anyone know what later model posi rears will fit in a 72? Don't really want to pay $1000 for a piece of junk that I have to completely rebuild.

·
Registered
70 Posts
'65 to '72 will fit. Nothing later than '72. '65 - '67 are about an inch and half narrower and fit fine other than that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
12 bolt rears were only used thru 1972 except in trucks and bearing sizes of those are different so carriers likely won't swap. Later model Camaros were 10 bolt and didn't have upper control arms so the housings won't swap.

·
Registered
101 Posts
68-72 have the same width rear as a 70-81 Camaro
64-67 have the same width rear as a 67-69 Camaro

and then what dank said.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Rear end swaps are not that difficult...if you have the correct housing and control arms.
I've never had a super high performance engine,and I've never thrown a rear end.
Most of my cars usually have about 400 Hp,and I drive them hard,but don't abuse them.
If you don't over power them and drive smartly,they rarely give you trouble.
The only time you need to spend top dollar,is when pushing the horsepower.
There are plenty of good used rear ends available..you just need to look.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Spend your money on new parts and have them professionally installed.:texas::beer:

·
Registered
578 Posts
$85 per hour labor rates?:nanawrench:
I'd rather pay myself.:beer:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spend your money on new parts and have them professionally installed.:texas::beer:
Yeah seems you can get a Dana 60 for under 2k complete. If I go used I'd be close to that by the time I pay labor to overhaul and upgrade worn parts etc.

I'm not planning on driving hard and HP will end up in the 400 range but just want posi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts