El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, last weekend I picked up an '86-87 elky parts car. It contains a 4.3 w/auto transmission. At this point I know little about it except that the engine turns with a breaker bar, not seized. I got it from a guy who bought it for body parts, interior is shot, seller claims that it has a running engine/transmission.
I have a '79 Datsun P/U in my driveway that quit back in 2003ish. Thinking of getting the 4.3 running and dropping into the Datsun. I know that SBC's into these Datsun's used to be a thing, so I feel that the 4.3 will be easy.
Anyone have thoughts on the subject, or experience with v8's into Datsun P/U's? I'm not looking to build a racer, but I am hoping that the 4.3 has enough power to make the project worthwhile, and a nice driver.
What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I say go for it!!!.
The Chevy V-8 into a datsun was a popular swap back in the 70's,, the V-6 IMO would be a great little motor for the datsun.
Is the V-6 fuel injection or a carb? If fuel injection the wiring harness could be a pain but can be done. Sounds like a great project!!! Post some pics when you can,,
Matty man

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I say go for it!!!.
The Chevy V-8 into a datsun was a popular swap back in the 70's,, the V-6 IMO would be a great little motor for the datsun.
Is the V-6 fuel injection or a carb? If fuel injection the wiring harness could be a pain but can be done. Sounds like a great project!!! Post some pics when you can,,
Matty man
Currently, the engine is fuel injected. There are some parts missing from the throttle body upward. I will be needing to learn about FI systems, and how they work. As long as the wiring harness is complete with all plug ends, I can pull the necessary wires from it. I am storing the elky at a friend's house near where I purchased it from, and will have to strip it at his place. The seller owns/runs a body shop, and had acquired it for the front clip parts. The interior is shot due to a missing sunroof. I plan to pull the dash out for the wiring harness, and also the engine bay side of the wiring harness, to integrate into the Datsun wiring for the 4.3.
As a side benefit, I plan on getting the elky's special FI fuel tank.
What will be left when I am finished will only be a frame and truck bed. If I had some welding skills, I think that the frame/bed would make a nice trailer project.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Chevy LUV with a Buick 3.8 V6/ Turbo 350 in it. It's a pretty easy swap.
The 4.3 "package" is an easy drop in for the Datsun.
You can buy a carb intake and an HEI distributor for cheap. Injection can be a PIA if you don't have all of it and you still need to do more fabrication work.
Remember, there is a lot more to this than meets the eye
Radiator, exhaust, drive shaft, transmission cooler, wiring (easy) and miscellaneous crap.
The hardest parts for you will be fabbing engine and transmission mounts without aa welder of some kind. And maybe the exhaust.
You can buy aftermarket aluminum radiators fairly cheaply

If you ever want to sell it, ping me.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a Chevy LUV with a Buick 3.8 V6/ Turbo 350 in it. It's a pretty easy swap.
The 4.3 "package" is an easy drop in for the Datsun.
You can buy a carb intake and an HEI distributor for cheap. Injection can be a PIA if you don't have all of it and you still need to do more fabrication work.
Remember, there is a lot more to this than meets the eye
Radiator, exhaust, drive shaft, transmission cooler, wiring (easy) and miscellaneous crap.
The hardest parts for you will be fabbing engine and transmission mounts without aa welder of some kind. And maybe the exhaust.
You can buy aftermarket aluminum radiators fairly cheaply

If you ever want to sell it, ping me.
Chevy Luv, don't see them around very often anymore.
I went through a lot of those processes when I swapped the v6/3spd for a v8/5spd into my Caballero, so I have a good idea of what to expect. I have never worked with fuel injection before, so that will be a new experience.
Likely, engine/transmission mounts will be the most difficult part for me. The rest will just take time fitting and routing. I have a good drive line shop about 10 miles away (used them for the Caballero swap)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts