El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping in a Muncie M20 in place of my leaky Turbo 350 when I install my fresh 327 into my '79 El-Cam. I caught a great deal on a new clutch from a local ad seller but didn't pull the tape on it. Turns out to be a 12 inch truck clutch. I was told that it would work. But now, doing more research and looking at the truck bell housing, GM part # 460486, I'm not sure that it will fit at the firewall or if there will be other clearance issues. I don't have the time (in the house garage) to trial and error test fit and would rather reboot on purchases to have the right parts and do it once. Does anyone have any experience or other knowledge of these parts? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Passenger cars equipped with manual transmission had one of two sizes of clutches: Either the earlier 10.5" clutch or the later 11" clutch. There were two flywheels available. A 153 tooth flywheel with the 10.5" bolt pattern and the 168 tooth flywheel with the 11" clutch bolt pattern. A 12" clutch and it's respective bell housing WILL NOT fit your application.

·
Registered
49 Posts
First: The truck bellhousing you bought fits the 168 tooth flywheel, and can accept up to a 12" clutch. It will bolt up to most Chevy engines. Many people use them on early Chevelles and Camaros. The problem with the truck bellhousing is the center hole is about a 1/2" too big for car transmissions.
Second: Your 79 uses a specific style clutch release fork, that only fits two different Chevy bellhousings. One is for 168 tooth flywheels (casting #464697), and I have only found 1 in 5 years of searching. The other is for 153 tooth flywheels (casting #462606), and is more common. Another point about these two bellhousings, is that they come in two different versions, one will work with the special fork and the other won't.
Russ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts