El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a repair shop that can replace/repair 1st gear in my 70 SS 454 in the Ashville, NC area?

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Just so you will be prepared for the price when you hear it, you will probably need a new cluster gear to go along with 1st gear if they are both damaged. It is tough to damage any of the 4 gears and not the cluster. Wish I could help you with a shop in that area but I'm in West Palm Beach. Worst case you could ship it. I just finished one that had missed a shift and took out 3rd and the cluster gear. Just my price on parts was in the 400.00+ range.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I had my M21 rebuilt about a year ago, cost me $1,300 because I basically destroyed every gear in the trans

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
I love love love the M21's and M22's but yes, they are high dollar to have fixed. Parts alone hurt the wallet even if you do it yourself. I gave up my last M21 in late 80's and sadly went to Auto's since you can buy a core for $25 and a rebuild kit for $60. I can break Th350's all day long and it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Of course mine don't break after the mods and about another $100 in updated hard parts. Sorry, I'm in OKC and not your area. As suggested, might check into some mail order places but shipping usually kills those deals. Maybe just buy another one if you find it cheap enough off line and shipping just one way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts