El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all a relatively new member here and I'm lucky to own 2 1978 Elky's. Both serial #'s tell me that they both came out with V-6's 1 with a 3 speed manual on the floor,the other an automatic.Both of them now have powerful V-8's, the one with the manual now has a s.b.400 and a Saginaw 4 speed, the other has a 383 crate motor with a brand new turbo 350. What would I need and need to do to convert the Elky's to 4 wheel disk. Any Help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Bob

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a 79 and have no trouble with the stock system.(disc front and drum rear)
You could have a vacuum problem with hot rod motors. I would check that first. If you just want disc, go for it. A lot of aftermarket systems out there. $$$$

·
Registered
343 Posts
Depending on what size wheels you have, a set of 98-02 Camaro rear disk brakes would be the most cost effective way of getting rear disks. That's what I run on my '82.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
there's actually quite a few threads on this site about disc brake conversion, just google for it. based on your other post about not getting top of the line stuff, so not wanting to spend big $$$, the most common way to convert is this:

-locate a 1999-2005 Blazer 4x2 4dr in the junkyard, pull all 4 disc calipers off, you're done (mostly)
the front disc will be dual piston with 10.6 vs 10.5 single piston. you can literally pull the whole front spindle and swap it in. the rears require a slight modification (you have to cut off the top of the wheel cylinder mounting plate, drill 2 holes, and then you have to engineer a stanchion for your emergency brake). the advantage of all this is getting the parts from 1 source

- older knowledgeable members will tell you leave the rear as drum becauseas a truck it's too light in the rear for disc brakes. your better fix for braking is to get the larger wheel cylinder for an S10 truck and you don't have to fool with all that other stuff

Caveat:
the 78-79 elkies are different in the front. all I remember is that there was a cutover in the parts so they are literally not the same size (SAE to metric). anyone with a 78 can tell you the exact issue

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I use 98-02 F body rear disc along with B body tall front spindles and 12" 1LE rotors...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts