El Camino Central Forum banner

427 Tall Deck Build Opnions

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  hotrodelco 
#1 ·
Recently got my hands on a 427TD for my 76 El Camino. Done tons of research and reading and now the issues. I now they can e made into 500 cube monsters but with a tight budget Going a different route.

~ Intake Fitment
~ Dist. Fitment
~ Oil Pan To big
~Forged Rods & Crank but pistons are undesirable
~Heads are Peanut Heads not good for performance

Might of missed a few things but really want to throw out my idea for a build and get some opinions

Has for the rest of the car TH350 2200 Stall 3:73 gears in rear

My Plan for motor is

Pull Top End and Cam attach to chain New boat anchors

Due to budget issues for this year I am going to reuse the stock Short Block.

Heads ? Still unsure suggestions

Intake - Vic Jr Td intake. Reason for using this intake is bolt onto tall deck and can use stock HEI Distrubitor with it. opinions on this route or would you use spacers with a Performer RPM ?

Cam- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K03072/
"I also called Summit and am replacing the valve springs and all other valve train with recommended components.

Would like to take next step up to this cam but worried about Compression Thoughts ?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K03062/

Carb- 800 Holley DP

Oil Pan- Have a Racing BBC with pickup

SO ? What do you think what should I expect power wise. Also how would you feel about running a small amount of spray on this motor under a 150 Shot. :nanawrench: Look Forward to responses.

See less See more
#3 ·
I hope that TH350 has been built. As far as heads look for a good set of oval ports.

#6 ·
I was just reading something on this the other day.. some drag racer who put his specs right out there on what he does to set up a tall deck 427. He says they are the best to use because they have really thick cylinder walls, they can be obtained cheaper than a regular 427, and they can be bored out without fear. But I would certainly check into what other differences there are, as mentioned, on stuff like distributors... all in all, I wouldn't imagine a tall deck is that much taller, but if hood clearance is already an issue, it could aggravate it further. Good luck with the motor and the swap!

#7 ·
There is a issue with the Intake and dist Deck height is .400 longer on a Tall Deck. Either have to run a Tall Deck specific intake or run spacers with a regular intake. Distributor if using Tall deck intake than a stock HEI is fine with the spacer though you have to run a Distributor with a slip collar or machine the lip off the distributor and install a slip collar MSD sells.

Done some research. Starting to come to the conclusion that with the Stock Rotating Assembly a RELIABLE performance motor is not realistic. The Pistons in these motors are heavy from what I read and have 4 ring slots. they dont like high Revs over like 4500. Crank and Rods are Forged but if I change to regular car 427 pistons I have to run a .400 longer rod due to deck height. Rather wait and do it right with good internals which out out of my budget right now.

#11 ·
I'm curious about clearances around the engine. It would seem that you might have clearance issues with the brake booster, a/c box, headers, etc. If you start having to alter the environment to fit the engine that has the potential of making for an expensive swap. A 454 might be cheaper since you say budget is a consideration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.