El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has built anything like this before. I plan to take my completely bone stock 402 big block, bore .030" out of it, throw a 454 crank in it along with a few other good things, and throw a procharger on it. It's going in my former drag car which I have converted back into a street car. I'm also putting a 6 speed in it this winter. Any suggestions/ideas??

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
check the rods to make sure theres clearnce between the pan rail.,about .050 or more, should do the trick..(I'll post picture up later..):beer:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Build the bottom end for the boost you are going to do. If you buy a stroker kit get the forged crank and good rods. Compression needs to be low but flat top pistons and open chamber heads should be good for 6 psi boost. More boost may need dished pistons. Boost is increased with a pulley and belt change. If you are using a stock 454 steel crank and rods, put ARP rod bolts in. A four bolt main block is not required but it will help keep the mains clamped if you go high boost. A good machine shop can convert the 402 2-bolt main block to a 4-bolt. For extreem boost use ARP studs instead of bolts to hold the main caps down. Have the rotating assembly balanced. Remember that stock 454s were externally balanced while 402s were internally balanced. So you need to have the machine shop do an internal balance if you want to use your 402 balancer and flywheel/flexplate. You probably want to pick a blower grind for the camshaft. Blower blow-through carb is needed. Don't forget the boost valve. Procharger has great intercoolers but then you have all the plumbing issues and mounting the intercooler in front of the radiator can be a challenge.

Personally if I were going this route, mainly because I'd have to have a fat wallet to begin with, I'd go with either a 454 block and stroke it to a 496. Or even beter, go with an after market block and get huge. Blowers and cubic inches go together.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Why not put the 96 sorry, 402 crank in a 54 block and make a 27? :beer:

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I would like to be around 700, and keep it tame enough I can take it for a weekend cruise without getting arrested! I have my drivetrain set up with 4.56's currently, and I plan on keeping them. Whatever I build I need enough torque around 1700 rpm's to cruise with. Should be pretty easy to do!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I would like to be around 700, and keep it tame enough I can take it for a weekend cruise without getting arrested! I have my drivetrain set up with 4.56's currently, and I plan on keeping them. Whatever I build I need enough torque around 1700 rpm's to cruise with. Should be pretty easy to do!
700 won't be a problem and way more than enough power for cruising on the street. Let me know if you have any questions. I don't know everything, but I'm more than happy to help you if I can :beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
check the rods to make sure theres clearnce between the pan rail.,about .050 or more, should do the trick..(I'll post picture up later..):beer:
..this is what I was talking about...

:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
434 procharged

Did you ever build the 434 procharged?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts