El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what engine/motor mounts I need for a 454 that will be going into a 79 El camino.
Everyone tells me to have enough money for gas prices, but that is not what I'm going for. Just want to know what all I need before I start putting that sucker in there.
I have the new suspension system ready to be installed next week once I get a break from school.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I think you can use some 454 truck motor mounts but they will have to be welded on. Let the guru's chime in later, hopefully I'm right.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Truck mounts are a no go..... You need a set of brackets for the block off a big block car and a set of small block g body clamshells on the frame in the same location as the small block

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truck mounts are a no go..... You need a set of brackets for the block off a big block car and a set of small block g body clamshells on the frame in the same location as the small block
ok thanks...appreciate it:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
I am wondering what engine/motor mounts I need for a 454 that will be going into a 79 El camino.
Everyone tells me to have enough money for gas prices, but that is not what I'm going for. Just want to know what all I need before I start putting that sucker in there.
I have the new suspension system ready to be installed next week once I get a break from school.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
contact 464elky - he is all over big blocks in G5s; just check out his car!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
All right here is the deal, take the mounts off the side of the 305, bolt them to the 454 and drop it onto the stock mounts that are bolted to the frame. It's as easy as that.:texas:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
All right here is the deal, take the mounts off the side of the 305, bolt them to the 454 and drop it onto the stock mounts that are bolted to the frame. It's as easy as that.:texas:
I thought the mounts on the side of the small block wouldn't bolt to a big block? Im trying to remember its been 5 years since I dropped mine in, I know the small block clamshells in the stock location is the way the frame mounts are

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Buy urethane mounts that bolt onto the frame for your small block El Camino, and bolt the mounts off the small block right onto the 454,
and drop it in. It's that easy, trust me.:beer:
I've had 3 different big blocks in mine, and the same mount worked every time, 396,427,502

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
They will fit. old mounts my break. from big block torque.
I run stock replacements for the last 5 years, no issues. And that's even with slamming gears with my 4 speed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey thanks guys I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hotrodelco is right, I have a 454 in my eighty five with the same set up. It's a tight fit, very tight. and yes you'll need another gas card....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts