El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fifth generation with a 1972 454 in it with a turbo 400. I'm thinking about upgrading the engine with a edelbrock top end kit # 2095. It comes with the aluminum heads and intake and a flat tappet cam, with lifters and hardware. It does not come with push rods and rockers? My question is do I go with new stock push rods and rockers or do I need something else. There isn't enough room for roller rockers. And what else will I need?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Why do you say there is no room for roller rockers? I assume you mean that you have short valve covers? I run comp cams steel roller rockers under my short valve covers, never had an issue

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
use good heat treated pushrods and as stated above small bodied roller rockers.they will help your valve guides live a lot longer and free up a little hp, the heat treated push rods will help keep down harmonics the stock push rods are prone to in hp aplications

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think they would fit under the short valve covers, thanks for the info......

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If I were spending that kind of bucks, I'd also go with a roller cam and not have to worry about breaking in a new flat tappet cam and chasing down some oil additive or oil with zinc still in it.....Kill two birds with one stone....Dan

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the roller cam gives you a lot more free hp and as old coot said saves the cam.i have seen guys flatten a new cam within the first 5 min of running on a big block.i always use soft springs to break in a big block cam then switch to the good ones.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
At the $2600 price of the kit, I think I'd choose different pieces. First, I would not no longer use a flat tappet cam. The roller hydraulics give more power with the same advertised duration because the ramps are faster. You'll see more gain per dollar from a decent cam swap than you will with the head swap. If you want to change the heads, I'd go with the Brodix Race Rites instead of the e-brock pieces. I ran the e-brock heads for a while and changed over to the Brodix and I am not going back. Stuff a roller hydraulic cam that is about 225/235 at .050 and .560 lift in there along with a set of the Comp Cams beehive springs and it will wake things up! A set of roller rockers will help save your valve guides. If you are on a budget, do the cam and roller rockers first and then decide if you want to spend the money to swap the heads. Otherwise, Race Rites, the cam and a dual plane manifold like the Edelbrock Performer and you'll be melting the tires in no time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
brodix raceright

I went online and looked at the big block heads, but I'm not sure which ones I would need. All of you have convinced me to stay away from the edelbrock kit. I went on line and there is a dealer on ebay that suggested brodix race right with 294cc intake runners with 119cc chambers. His price was $1574.00 plus shipping. The heads are fully assembled.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I ordered the bordix heads this afternoon, I received the roller rockers in the mail yesterday, Now I have to order a roller hydraulic cam and intake and timing gear.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts