El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a stock 454 7.4l in my 74 Camino and i'm looking to upgrade the horsepower, right now its got the rochester quadrajet on it and an older edelbrock air intake on it but not sure of which type. i'm looking at a Holly 870cfm carb but would like some input here. there's not enough room under the hood for headers since this is a big block.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I'm not a BBC guy but the principles are the same. If the aluminum intake you have is a dual plane (undoubetedly is or the Q-jet wouldn't fit) and the Q-jet is in proper working order,,, it's HARD to improve on that package for a street car. If your looking for more ROM's then sure,, somethng from the race scene may be in order, otherwise,,, I'd leave well enough alone and spend your cash on a good dyno tune.

AND,, EXHAST! I can't imagine there isn't headers for the BBC, In fact a quick search of Summit and Jeggs says theres multiple choices, I'd start there. The factory exhaust is prety restrictive and building a decent exhaust system, then a good dyno tune by someone who knows what they are doing,, you will be AMAZED at the improvements.

but... just my 2¢

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Personally I like to have headers on my BBC, you can see big gains and yes they will fit. A good flowing exhaust and some low restriction mufflers help as well. Personally a Holley 750 double pumper would be enough for that engine. It's sounds like a stock low compression engine. Also a good cheap and easy upgrade is an HEI ignition, plentiful at junk yards. Most 80's chevy v8 camaros and gbodys will drop right in.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Headers surely do fit. I have had two 454 EC's with Hookers on them. As a matter of fact I just was at a car show that had an73 EC with a 454 in it with headers on it. I'm not sure of the brand on those, but I know Hookers fit. I'd put a Comp Cams Extreme cam in it, a modern dual plane intake, A 750-800 Holley, a decent ignition, headers , and hang on. Thats what I did on both of my big blocks and they ran great. I also had a turbo 400, with the 2.75 low gear (stock is 2.48) kit and a set of 3.42s in the rear end.
Good luck with whatever you decide on, but thats what I did to mine.

Regards Brian

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it just looks like under the hood that there's no room for the headers with the suspension and the engine compartment wall being right there, did you guys have to make mods so that the would squeeze in? thanks for all the responses cam. intake and carb are my first steps for sure

·
Registered
852 Posts
As mentioned above, exhaust is a good step to making more power. another good upgrade ius ignition. if its not already HEI is a good start to install, and if it does, try upgrading to a higher output coil and ignition module. if you do that though id also reccomend better plug wires and a better more gapped plug.

the carb youre running is a good one, the primarys are tiny but nothing can match it for the size of the secondaries unless you go with some kinda carb too big for the street. try jetting it a little, pull the secondary metering rods and buy new ones, or find used ones that are thinner, think, the thinner the better, the more fuel theyll let by. That 454 is thirsty, you cant throw too much fuel at it.

since clearance is an issue you cant go with a bigger taller filter, but theoretically the more surface area an air cleaner has the easier it flows and less restrictive it is. im running one 14 inches around and 6 inches tall on mine. and personally i think it looks better lol

Finally, valvetrain, if you havent considered a bigger cam now might be the time. also look into the longer ratio rocker arms. the longer the arm is the more the valve will open making a bit more power.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Headers will bolt in, sometimes with a fight, but not too bad...... Roller rockers are a cheap easy upgrade as well. I have the steel ones from comp cams, work well and fit under the stock valve covers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts