El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is directed to trany mike for input.i have a 95 chevy tahoe 350/rl60e.i have a problem i cant figure out and maybe you can shed some light on it for me as you are the expert.(no sarcasim intended) i loaned it to a friend a couple years ago and she melted down the trans.she hooked her 5 horse trailer to it w/horses and used it to push her broken duelly home.the trans had 300,00 on it at the time.i rebuilt the trans,all new high energy clutches,coleen steels,2.6 red eagle band,all new bushings,and bearings,all new acumulator pistons and springs,all new electronics and wireing harness.new seperator plate,d ring servo seals. 5 pinion planets.the issue i have is it shifts to second soft,the direct clutches look polished.no band slippage it looks as if never run. i air checked the drum and case with no air bleed off.the valve body is free with no sticky valves. could it be the replacement valve body seperator plate .the old was damaged and oe was discontinued.you are the expert so maybe you can shed some light:dontknow:

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
It sounds like you put in all the good parts. Did you replace the plate due to the checkball towards the front-center damaging the plate? Also is it a late shift to 2nd? This trans doesn't have a direct clutch. At the top if the aluminum input drum sits the 3/4 clutch, is that the pack that's polished?

You can try running a data-stream with a scan tool. I'm not sure if that PCM has a separate data-stream for the trans, but if it does watch the shift commands while driving it. If it doesn't shift into second when it's commanded, but then does shift when 3rd is commanded, you are actually going 1st to 3rd. Going 1-3 will glaze the 3/4 clutches. If that's the case, I'd check to make sure the servo teflon rings aren't damaged or the servo pin is actually going into the band. That could be why the band and drum look like they haven't applied. This is the way to go if you've looked at the gaskets up against the plate during installation to be sure no holes are covered up. The kit comes with 2 sets of VB gaskets, 99 and earlier and 2000-up. Let me know those answers and we'll go from there. :beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no the clutch pack under the overrun clutch. my manual calls it the direct clutch.the plate was damaged by the check ball under the plate near the back i believe. its been a year and dont remember exactly.all other shifts are fine up and down just kinda of slides into second.it doesnt slip and there isnt any hot spots in the plates just polished them.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the trans now has aprox 80,000 since the rebuild,noticed some metal during the service and tore it arart last month and found the thrust washer on the rear planet had failed ,so i stripped the trans and cleaned it all out scuffed the steels and put new clutches in the pack and reinstalled the trans.1/2 shift was better for a couple weeks now back to soft .if you foot it it wont slip .it was so burned up i replaced everything.no shift kit or anything.just wanted a good stock shift .

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to clarify the thrust washer from the planit itself from one if the pinions.it also took out the reaction ring,replaced all damaged parts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my mistake forward clutch,thats why i am asking you ,im just a mechanic not a trans expert.these are your field

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
In the drum with the shaft, the top set of clutches are the 3/4, the middle set are the forward clutches and the bottom 2 plates are the overrun clutches. Your problem with the soft shift has to do with the 2/4 band. Since it went 80,000 the first time you had to have it right as far as assembly goes. You can firm up the 1/2 and 2/3 shift by changing the servo on the side to a corvette servo kit. It's probably the easiest way to help it out. The other way to help out 2nd is by changing springs at the 2nd accumulator. But I'd go with the servo kit. Customers like them. I've never had a complaint about a little firmer shift in a truck. :beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i really dont think its the band.it was soft before the service.the band looks new no. burn or slipage and the 3/4 shift is fine.the reason for the service was the soft shift,the wife drives it and i drove it one night and noticed the shift was off.there are no signs the band is slipping the drum was clean and not glazed.the only thing looking odd was the forward clutch pack.there was no leakage when i air checked the servo on second and forth aply.the band litteraly looked new.could it be porosity in the valve body?

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
If you have porosity in the valve body it would be the first time I've heard of that. The 2/4 band hydraulic circuit is pretty simple compared to the other elements because it's a direct shot from the control body to the band apply channels. You've got your servo, accumulator and valve body controlling the band apply and feel. Did the pin fit nicely in the bore of the accumulator? The 2nd accumulator is the one right next to the EPC solenoid, not the one deeper in the case,it's above that one. The hole in the accumulator can wear, get a loose fit and cause a soft shift. It's got to have some sort of hydraulic leak in the circuit somewhere. Since all other shifting is good, we can assume that main line pressure is decent. :beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it was scored and replaced with a new gm part during the rebuild it had two springs instead of my original 1.the chevy dealer said that was the new replacement.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this was so badly overheated all of the plugs crumbled and wires lost thier insulation.the only way i got it on my trailer was to unplug it and let it default to second .it had only reverse when plugged in . could all of that heat have damaged the valve body in some way that only shows up once torqued down and warmed up

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I'm assuming the spring broke to damage the housing. Is it assembled correctly with the springs in the housing first then the piston on top of the springs? We install transgo kits in all our rebuilds. There are quite a few mods for 2nd gear. When I get home I'll scan the directions and post it on this thread so you can see the related areas for 2nd gear. :beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mine is installed just backwards of the 700. springs go in first then the piston.

·
Premium Member
12,553 Posts
I like watching 2 tech. guys chat. I don't have a clue what your saying but I keep nodding my head yea!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a sloppy 1 2 shift on a 4L60e trans.im hopeing mike might have an answer to it, im scratching my head.now its up to the pro to help me figure it out .

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
OK, it took a little while but I did it. I figured others are looking at this thread and would like to see a 4L60E Transgo Shift kit. This kit is not for competition but gives a nice shift that has is more durable than stock. It also has lock-up valves that cure a major problem with Pulse Width Modulated converter engagement. It does a lot more but those two I mentioned are why these kits are popular with shops. This is the #1 shift kit in the industry for 4L60E. This is in GMC & Chevy trucks these days. I've done so many I don't need these instructions anymore, LOL! :beer:

I lied, I do need the one page where you drill the plate. I still double check the locations.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
You'll see in that shift kit how many upgrades are required for a good 2nd to get a 4L60E running primo everytime. You have a lot of miles on your valve body. Even though it probably looks perfect, after springs and valves have stroked 100's of thousand of times they do wear or change tension. You've really overheated your trans. I didn't read that until a few minutes ago. That does make even more difference to the springs in your valve body. This kit has all the critical springs to bring back an overheated trans to work better than new, as long as the internals are done properly. And from what you said about your rebuild you know whats good on the inside. :beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
is there a part# for the 95 model.i will pull the trans next month when the weather is good enough to put moma back in her camaro.and install the shift kit and double check everything else. i trully thank you mike.i will let you know the outcome

1 - 20 of 21 Posts