El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a 4L80e behind a carbs motor?

I am using an optishift controller and am having a serious bog down issue in reverse. Idle can be set to anything from 600-1200 and when put in reverse it bogs down to 450-500rpm and slowly dies.

Drive does the same if the idle is set around 700 but is completely fine at 1100.

Any idea? To much trans line pressure maybe?

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the motor like. Do you have a big cam in it? :beer:
baby RV cam for good gas mileage. Ran really bad then found I had a dead plug wire. New wires and it runs great. Good compression across all 8.

I can have the engine idle at 500 with no issues as long as it is in park or neutral. The extra mass in D kills it but reverse is the worst.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have raised the idle. At 1100 in Drive it drops down to 600-700 which is perfect. However in Reverse is drops to 450-500 and surges and keeps trying to die.

I can only think that the trans controller is commanding to much pressure in R versus D. That or since the engine is still fresh hone and new rings hasnt fully seated.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An RV cam really doesn't lope. That's not the problem. You don't require a high stall converter for that motor. Raise the idle and see what happens. :beer:
no lope at all. I cant even hear the exhaust with long tube headers true duals and the mufflers exiting in front of the rear tires. VERY QUIET.

Stock stall which is about 14-1600

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.