El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get the old rusted out air shocks removed in favor of a pair of delco's I picked up last week.

I am having lots of trouble removing the upper mounting bolts for the shock. There are two bolts that go through the upper mount of the shock, through the shock/frame mount.

I can't for the life of me get a wrench up and over the shock mount, onto the bolt, to keep it from spinning while I remove the nut that is on the bottom. :dontknow:

Anyone have a trick for this? Is there some magical access panel I'm missing out on?

Right now I have the coil spring out so I could have extra room to wiggle my hand up and above the shock mount, but I still cannot get a wrench above the bolt.

I wish GM just spot welded the bolt in place, so it acted more as a stud and wouldn't spin as i loosened the bolt. I know for sure I'm going to replace this assembly with a bolt and clip nuts like the front shocks.

·
Silver Contributor Participating Member
461 Posts
I did this job a few months ago and although I can't recall now exactly how I did it, I do remember it was tough and took a lot of time, but I did manage without having to take the springs out or anything. I think what I did was put one of these locking pliers around the shaft to keep the thing from turning.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did this job a few months ago and although I can't recall now exactly how I did it, I do remember it was tough and took a lot of time, but I did manage without having to take the springs out or anything. I think what I did was put one of these locking pliers around the shaft to keep the thing from turning.
This may work, but I just can't seem to get anything onto the top of the bolt. I got the bolt closest to the tailgate off, but cant for the life of me get the one closest to the front off.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, it seems shocks on the 3rd and 4th are identical, so anyone from the 3rd gen can you offer advice too?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You need to bend a box wrench. I think it's 9/16?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Yeah not too cheap. You may want to use it again. Most GM cars of that era will need it. Buy a Husky at Home Depot or a Craftsman at Sears/K-Mart.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I got her off finally with a little sweat, blood, and swearing. I'll leave you all a few notes that may help anyone doing this in the future.

Here's how I did it, you may do it differently.

I removed the lower shock bolt first
Then the lower control arm to axle
Lowered axle using floor jack
Popped out the coil spring
Raised axle about mid travel (Just raise high enough so you can squeeze your torso under the axle/brake drum)
Remove closest upper shock bolt
Take deep socket, and start loosening the rear bolt. Loosen until it spins (since you dont have anything on top, it will spin once slightly loose, but not loosen)
Once bolt is loose, shock can then be spun
Spin shock so the little square hole above it is open
Stick fingers up little hole, and reach your other hand up and around the exhaust and ontop the shock mount, bringing wrench with you
Use fingers sticking up from access hole to guide wrench as it comes to bolt. Then use fingers to hold and secure the wrench once on bolt
Use free hand to use ratchet to loosen bolt, while holding top wrench with fingers. Wrench will eventually lock against something, and as long as your fingers hold it, you can keep loosening the nut

Drink a beer:beer:
Buy new bolts/nuts
Put back on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts