El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have posted about my newly bought 1977 El Camino. You can see that and some pictures here. It is time I start asking some questions. This is probably something simple but the drivers side seat belt seems to be stuck. The top portion of the seat belt seems to work fine if I fiddle with it for long enough. However the bottom part of the seat belt will not pull out for nothing. I tried for about ten minutes trying to get it to pull out. Kinda feels like it is stuck or even "locked" in place. Passenger side works fine so I'm not quite sure what I am missing here.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Might just be dirty, and trash is holding the rachet mechanism in lock position. I'd probably just replace it though, they are old enough, and you definitely want them to work properly if you ever need them. Also avoid the cheap ones ebay etc. Not worth it.

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Major Vendors

Most of the major vendors offer reproduction period seatbelts. Try OPGi, Classic Industries, National Parts Depot, The El Camino Store, etc..................Ken

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't find any full reproductions of 4th gen seat belts. Honestly there aren't very many reproduction parts for 4th gens compared to 5th gens. However I found my problem was my upper belt was not retracting all the way to let the bottom come out. Just in case that helps anyone. :poke:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Excuse me if I just LOL for a minute on the comments to just replace the belts. There are no aftermarket reproductions, and none of the generic belts will fit without serious alterations. Whenever you find these seatbelts, get them, because if you don’t need them somebody will. On my current set I have to make sure when I unbuckle it to hold it out straight and let it go so it snaps all the way in. If I don’t, it may not pull all the way out, like you describe. There is a little hole in the back of the base into which you can insert a small screwdriver and press a lever to release the lock. Then you can pull it all the way out and get a good snap on the retraction. I have to do that once it a while, possibly due to ithe belt getting a little off center. I haven’t yet figured out how to get into the mechanism and refurbish it.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,641 Posts
It's been awhile since I've been at my local area salvage yards, but I have seen these 3 point seat setups, maybe I should start but buying everything I see and become 4gen parts supplier, I seem to have a ton 4gen parts in my area. Maybe when I have time I'll get back out and look around

·
Registered
445 Posts
Probably not the case, but I had that happen once 'back in the day' when a quarter slid down the seatbelt and got hung in the mechanism.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..yea, had the same problem, pulled the unit out, inspect it, and lubed it up good and its been working ever since.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Josh, you’d be doing to 4th gen world a favor and there are worse ways to feed your el Camino! The 73-75 models don’t have shoulder retractors, just the lap retractor. Using the shoulder harness is a true hassle.

Gilbert, did you remove the cover to work on it, or just lube it through the bottom? I tried lubing mine but to no effect. Maybe there was one part that I missed.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts

Gilbert, did you remove the cover to work on it, or just lube it through the bottom? I tried lubing mine but to no effect. Maybe there was one part that I missed.
I pulled the seat out to get to it and then, pulled out the seat belt retractor and lubed it up,be careful not to get it on the seat belts itself,it might leave a mark on your pants..

·
Registered
445 Posts
On a semi-related note, everyone who rides in Scarlett complains about the 2-piece seat belts LOL. They can be a little challenging to keep together until they're clicked in, at least until you're used to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts