El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get rid of my th350 on my 76 elky ss 400. i want to put in a manual trans.
I know the basics ill need. Muncie 4 speed (no way a Saginaw would handle the 400) clutch, flywheel.
What else do i need?
What is needed to make this work (I know driveshaft will need to be shortened and cross member moved and hole cut in floor. )

Could I pull a 4 speed off of an old chevy at the scrap yard? What trans would work?

Where do I get the pedals from? I cannot find anyone who sells the clutch/brake setup for 73-77 chevy's. Would the pedals from a 3rd gen fit?

Do I need a clutch master cylinder? and if so where do I put it under the hood? (is anywhere fine?)

I'd love all the info I could get on this. Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
You might look for a service manual for your year on Ebay. That would help with the information you need. There are drawings of the clutch linkage etc in the service manual, but the parts manual only shows transmission parts, and no pedal info. And the stock set-up is mechanical, and not hydraulic like later types. The 3rd gen stuff may be the way to go, if you can find the parts. There is a ball that screws into the side of the engine block, to hold one end of a cross-shaft, and the other end of the cross shaft is supported by a bracket that's bolted to the frame.
The clutch pedal is added to the left side of the brake pedal mount under the dash, with a longer bolt that goes through both pedal bearings.
I had a '73 Chevelle with a manual trans, so the parts are out there if you can find them.
Also. as you may already know, the flywheel for a 400 has to be the external balanced type.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/601255/10002/-1?CT=999
already had that covered. Not bad priced either. Do you think a saginaw would hold up to my 400? its all stock. Sags are a lot cheaper around here. And also, i have a bench seat, and from what i hear the shift handle on a saginaw mounts farther up (more bench friendly) then the muncies and borgs.

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
Steelybill says the clutch is mechanical, and I'd go with that. I do not like a hydraulic clutch whatsoever in a performance vehicle. You'll likely be going with a Z bar manual linkage system IIRC. I've actually shifted a hydraulic clutch 4 speed fast enough, that I've gotten air trapped in the system, and a couple of times, have even spit the piston out of the slave cylinder. This happens on close ratios transmissions when you're shifting faster than the fluid can return to the clutch master. I know, sounds far fetched, but I can promise you, I've done it, and I know I'm not the only one either. Just plan on going with mechanical linkage. If you want performance, you're not wanting an easy pedal anyway. Just my 2 cents on that issue.

Are you sure you're going to have cut your driveshaft??? You might be surprised to find that your driveshaft is just right including the yoke. You're car has the short 6in tailshaft Th350 tailshaft housing right? If so, and the mechanical clutch bellhousing, I do believe you're golden. I won't swear to it since I didn't do this on an Elky, but I had a 64 GMC pick up, that I went back and forth form Th350 to Muncie M21 and M22 without any driveshaft mods. I just changed flywheels of course, also changed from Hurst Comp Plus shifter to B&M ratchet shifter, and moved the crossmember accordingly even using the same trans mount. Granted, still had to add the cooling lines and vac lines for the auto, But the bellhousing with Muncie trans was close enough in length to equal the Th350 w/ 6in tailshaft that the driveshaft didn't need modification, and they both used the same yoke also. This was one of the huge reasons I didn't stay with a Th400 because I like the option of being an auto trans, but within a couple hours, I could be 4 speed shifting again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a bench seat, and i heard theres issues with the non saginaw transmissions shifter being too close to the bench? Whats the way around this?
Also, can i steal a mechanical pedal setup from any chevy car? or do I have to buy a kit for my setup? I found one, but $300 seems pricey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts