El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all: I have a 79 Elco that I am TRYING to FINALLY finish swapping my 2004 truck 5.3L and '87 Corvette 700r4 into. Have a few final questions...

1) Due to oil pan size of the Moroso unit, I have to use a remote filter, and am going grey trying to find the best place for the filter. Any ideas?...pics possibly?

2) I am using a Sanden A/C compressor (KWIK Performance w/ swap brackets) that has one black wire coming off of it. I have an Edelbrock Performer Intake and Carb with a MSD ignition box. Instuctions say connect a short side blue wire to an Edelbrock Idle Compensator, and the long blue wire to a/c. I have connected the long blue to the black Sanden compressor wire, meanwhile connected two wires to the newer oem temperature sending unit, (green to green, and ground spliced in to the black ground wire off old a/c plug wire). Is this right, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help!

·
Supporting Member
4,524 Posts
I'm confused about the New OEM temp sending unit you talk about. The Black wire for the Sanden should be a power wire to energize the clutch ( if there is only one wire to the Sanden) ( assuming it is getting a ground through the compressor mounting). Power to the AC clutch should be coming from the Low Pressure switch on the accumulator, usually a dark green wire IIRC. The Blue wire for the MSD unit should be spliced into this power wire, so that when the AC clutch is energized, the MSD will sense the voltage and increase the RPM's.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok...thank you for the a/c tip..i didn't have the green power wire (to old a/c unit) spliced in. Regarding the temp sender, the '04 motor unit has two wires, im assuming one is signal (which i mated to the single elco wire), the other im assuming was ground, which i grounded.

The motor I'm using is an LM7 Vortec. Just went carbed, b/c I didnt wanna deal with the hassle or expense of having a harness made, and still having to use a LT1 intake (to allow hood clearance).

Still hoping someone can help me with the oil filter issue.....

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Haven't needed the remote filter, but I think the frame near the engine filter location would be handy.
There's gotta be some racers who've used the remote filter...

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Ls1tech.com may have more info for you. I 'd have to look it up, but I don't think a wire from a sending unit would go to ground.
Not sure what aftermarket pan you have , I have a 99'f-body setup I swapped in 03', notched & reboxed crossmember. Pics in photobucket link. For a remote filter mount, you typically have a pr of approx 3' hoses & mount on ds fenderwell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts