El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in the great state of West Virginia so i don't have to pass a smog test so i was wondering how hard it would be to get rid of the pollution equipment and any problems i would encounter if i removed them I am NOT A tree huggin hippie so I am not concerned about hurting the eviornment. It looks really bad and I want it out!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance :) :) :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you.

i still want the emissions stuff out it is not that big of a deal and did you know that there is no solid proof that there is a hole in the ozone. it is probably just a stunt the green party pulled to get on the news. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i dont like pollution controlled vehicles either but cars make up smaller polution numbers than people say they do. look at the recent california forest fire. that put way more haze in the air than a city worth of cars do in a year. with proper brush clearing it wouldn't have been so big. i know that they had a drought there for the last 3years. but the brush had to of been piling up for some time.

dont say you dont care about your environment just cause you have some clutter in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm not a really big fan of some of the smog stuff they put on cars in the 70s and 80s either but..... For the most part we're stuck with it being on the vehicles. That said you can still get things like headers, intakes and other items that will help add power and better efficiency for the overall system.

Things like removing those restrictive exhaust manifolds and replacing things like the EGR with a new one, tuning, rebuilding or replacing the carburetor, installing better flowing catalytic converter all can and will add better fuel efficiency and more power to the engine.

Remember most of our vehicles are pretty damn old and they were not made to last for ever. So new parts and improvements in technology will add to the overall satisfaction.

A good crate LS1 will remove almost all the smog stuff you dislike now but it has its own smog controls on it and it, if I am not mistaken, is legal in all 50 states. So you do have options some cost more than others.

I want my grandchildren to be able to walk around and enjoy the air when they are my age so anything I can do to help with that now I try to do. I am not by any means a shinning example of the Green Party, or even a member, but I do like trees and grass and fishing in clean lakes and swimming /camping around them. I am a "country boy" not to be mistaken for a "Red Neck" just a country boy.

Good luck with your ride.

Oh........ And I was a "Hippy" and I don't remember ever hugging a tree in my life and none of the people I hung around with did that I know of. Some did a little hugging of a toilet every so often when they had too much to drink. 8)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'll take your Smog crap

Up here in Central PA our county is now getting mandated emissions testing starting in December. This has been bantered about by the politicos for years and nothing ever happened. All of a sudden.....here it is. 8O

My 82 Elky, which I purchased in September has most of the smog stuff removed and at the time it was not that important to me that it was missing. The car runs great.

I will need to find and put back the A.I.R. pump and other assorted sensors and hoses. I have yet to figure out all that needs to be put back.

To add insult to injury, the law as I am told for my car, which will fall under the category of driven less than 5000 miles a year, only needs a "visual inspection" and a gas cap pressure test. It does not matter if the smog stuff works, it JUST HAS TO BE THERE. The AIR pump could be an empty case but hooked up to the belt system.

So, if anyone has an empty AIR pump they want to part with let me know.

JIM

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i really don't care it is coming out anyway. then maybe i'll start a destroy the earth as much as possible club.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am currently pulling all the smog crap off my car too(also a unconcerned 16 year old whippersnapper!) I am doing exhaust first- putting on headers and dual side exhaust. What I would recommend is that if you are going to take off the pump and eveything get an MSD or similar device that provide a more powerful spark. It burns more gasses in the combustion chamber, creating less crap in your exhaust. For example my autotech teacher has a Turbocharged maxima wagon with MSD with no cats and can pass any emissions test you put it through. If you have to get a test by law- you're screwed( you dont have any air pumps etc.). But to be a bit friendlier to the enviro- and to make you car run better, at least get the MSD.

Good Luck- Its hard when your a youngin', everyone takes you so seriously!

-Luke

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Let's talk about politics, next. 8O

·
Registered
96 Posts
im just glad i dont live in a smog state, and my elky is old enough that no emission laws apply anyway. sweet freedom! :D

·
1,867 Posts
I think that as long as a car passes the tailpipe emissions test it should not matter whats under the hood. My 78 did not have much on it but all that works is a egr & aftermarket cat. It is clean out the back because I feel we should do what we can for the air we breathe.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Let's talk about politics, next.

Not me....I just came for the youngin's leftovers. Need-a-AIR-Pump.
Working or not for here in the polluted Keystone state.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I took all the Emissions crap out of my 85. When i had the duals put in, i took the cats out. Then i just took the belt off for the emission.

Simple and effective.............
(another damn 17 yr old punk here.........tee hee :p )

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Anyone ever see the amount of crap that spews from the stacks of big rigs? Why are they allowed to get away with that? Is it because they pay road taxes? Anyway a good running engine will not pollute the air as bad as the EPA would have us believe...as long as it is running good! Yes catalytic converters are necessary! I also am not a member of the Green Party but I do believe in a clean environment. Here's one for ya..."Nuke the Whales...they eat too much" Just kidding! :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't see the problem with keeping the "emission crap" as long as your not making your elky a top of the line dragster. I don't really want to mess with the stuff, because by the time I get it all out, the great state of missouri will probably require under the hood identifiaction of emission crap. Right now they just check the carbon in the exhust pipe and the gas cap. But if I was to fail then I would have to put all of the emisson crap back on. So until my '86 is 25 years old and I have collector plates on, I will keep the emission crap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Emissions testing in PA

ChevyNut - thanks for the URL to the PA emissions site. After entering my information into the "calculator" this is what I got:

The following tests may be required for your vehicle:

County: Cumberland
Year: 1982
Vehicle: Car
Tests: Visual Check and Gas Cap Check
Note: Brand-new vehicles and vehicles driven under 5000 miles annually may qualify for an exemption sticker. Ask your service provider for more details.
Effective: Dec., 2003

Disclaimer: Actual test requirements based on make and model, drive system, vehicle weight, etc. The regulations in Title 67 Pa. Code, Chapter 177 shall determine the test type for any individual vehicle.

It does NOT say that ALL vehicles driven under 5K miles in a year will be exempt. It says "may qualify". I got my previous information from local newspaper, PennDOT info sheet included in latest registration application (different car) and I talked to my ''service provider". I will call the 800 number and see what that persons' opinion is and I need to find Title 76 PA Code.

Since this is new for us I am sure confusion will be rampant. I did find the following reference which follows your thoughts:

Are any vehicles exempt from Pennsylvania’s emissions program?

Yes. Vehicles will be exempt from the program if:
· If the vehicle has been owned for one year and driven less than 5,000 miles in the prior year. However, motorists must go to an inspection station to verify the vehicle’s mileage and receive an exemption sticker. Motorists can do this when they get their safety inspection if the station performs both types of inspections.· If the vehicle is a new car, not previously titled and driven less than 5,000 miles before registration; motorists should receive an exemption sticker valid for up to 12 months upon receipt of the new car from your new car dealer.
If the vehicle is a motorcycle, street rod or a vehicle registered as classic,
collectible or antique.
Exemptions are determined by the vehicle registration or by a certified technician.

Even in this statement I see a potential problem - "if a vehicle has been owned for one year"..... I have only owned my El Camino since September and the inspection is good until May. How do you think they will determine mileage and exemption eligibility under this situation?

I have dealt with some real jerks at the PennDOT office in Harrisburg and their interpretation of the law. One clerk once refused to issue an antique plate because the car, a 1959 Ford, showed a "Nixon for President" bumper sticker (visible on one of the 4 pictures required) on it. She declared that the car was not original = as it came off the assembly line in 1959. Arguing did no good. Left the building. Came back the next day, got a different clerk, and got the antique tag. Never trust anybody that says "I'm from Harrisburg and I'm here to help you!"

So, are you in an area where emissions testing is happening and do you have an El Camino or any other car that is exempt? I do not see a problem with my cars that have antique tags or my motorcycles. That part is pretty clear.

JB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Emission Crap

Another rebel seventeen year old camino owner here.
I too live in central PA. Lancaster to be exact. I bought an 81 with a 229 six and all the great emmisions junk. So wise but foolishly of me to have ripped and hacked off the emmision equipment so soon. Now the high and mighties are cracking down on use hopeless muscle car folk to help smog. my word of advice, unconnect everything, get yourself a nice carb and your set. But leave everything on the car or in your garage. Now I either don't drive it legally or a whip up $6000.00 for and LT1 swap making minimum wage! Be a rebel but to it wisely before your high and mighties to the same to you as me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts