El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying with the idea of installing a pair of 5 point harnesses instead of regular seat belts. I have factory bucket seats, I like the style and I believe they are safer than a stock seat belt (correct me if I am wrong please). Does this require doing a full roll cage or can I put a single bar behind the seats just below the rear window that weld or bolt to the frame? Or are there versions that you do not even have to do that but are just as safe as a typical 5 point? It seems like I have seen a lot of people with 5 points without a cage or even a bar behind the seats to attach too. Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I would suggest that you try a set out before you commit to them. They are undoubtable much safer than a three point harness, but for use in a road car I would think they would be a total pain in the ... rear.

No five-point harness I have ever used retracts. Maybe they make them that way, but I have not seen them. That means you are constantly going to have to loosen and tighten them when entering and exiting the vehicle. It also means that once in the car, you are in. You won't be able to lean out the window to accept things being handed in, you won't be able to lean forward to adjust the radio etc.

My $.02 worth.

Copper

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
One other thing that just occurred to me ... you are going to have to modify your seat as well. One of the attachment points for a five point comes up between your legs, right in the crotch area, which prevents you from submarineing out of the seat.

A four point harness would remove this problem and still give you the look you are looking for ... but the other problem, being so tightly strapped in, would remain. And they would have to be cinched tight to be effective in a crash.

Copper

·
Registered
326 Posts
For a daily driver, 5-point harnesses are more trouble than they are worth. As CT said above, there is no automatic retraction, only manual adjustment. Admittedly, I have only been a passenger in a car equipped with those restraints, but it was really inconvenient when having to get out and back in repeatedly.

That being said, I think that they definitely LOOK cool and are better protection than stock seatbelts.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I understand they do not retract and would have to do some modifications to the seats. My radio does not work and the glass pack does well enough for music to suit my taste. I mostly drive don't get fast food often as long as I can reach to turn on lights turn signals tilt the wheel and power up and down the windows that is enough for me. Although I do like the 4 point harness Idea as well with no major modifications done to the seat. Are 4 points similar in safety to 5 points? I assume I would still have to run a bar across the back to bolt into.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Are 4 points similar in safety to 5 points? I assume I would still have to run a bar across the back to bolt into.

Similar, though in a really hard front impact you could potentially submarine out from under the belt with a four-point harness. I suspect that an impact hard enough to cause you to submarine under the belt would likely cause you to meet the front coming too you. So sliding under the belts would be the least of your worries at that point.

And yes, you need something structural to hook onto. It just adds insult to injury if the attachments pull loose and hit you in the back of the head in a crash.

Copper

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Go to the Hooker Harness website and check out waht Jack Hooker has that you might could use. We used the Hooker harness in our aerobatic aircraft and I personally know they WILL save your life. I used the ratchet setup that actually uses a flat belt ratchet to snug up the lap belt. It also will need for the shoulder belts to be attached directly rearward from the top of your shoulders or it can compress your spine in the event of a crash. It really isn't worth the trouble, and expense, in a street car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Last year I ordered some four point belts from crow and put them in my 73 elky with buckets in place of the crusty old lap belts. They are kind of a pain if you're getting in and out a bunch, but they sure look cool. That company has some good prices too, my stuff only cost a hundred and something I think. Simpson stuff was wayyyyy more $.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts