El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kicking around the idea of swapping in a 5 spd into my Elky over the winter. Anybody know of any links/websites with info on such a swap?
I figure since I need to get more gears to improve my gas mileage, way not go for the gusto! :mrgreen: I'm thinking about finding a v8/5spd F-body to rob all the needed parts off of, going with the hyd. clutch to eliminate the need for Z bar bracketry.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
If you go with an F-Body setup you will be getting a 6 speed. That is if you go with any of the 4th generation F-Bodies anyway. 6th gear is tall and most of the people I know are doing around 1800rpm or so doing about 70mph.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,608 Posts
5 speed swap info

Chvypwr,While I am replying to your old post,I though you and others might be interested in checking out www.keislerauto.com.Go to El Camino section and there is an interesting article with pictures on swaping in a 5 or 6 speed in a 5th generation Camino.I am not affliated with them but I am a customer.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 5 speed swap info

Lenny Carey said:
Chvypwr,While I am replying to your old post,I though you and others might be interested in checking out www.keislerauto.com.Go to El Camino section and there is an interesting article with pictures on swaping in a 5 or 6 speed in a 5th generation Camino.I am not affliated with them but I am a customer.
My swap has been done for a year now. $560 for a complete running V8/5-spd Camaro off Ebay. Took what I needed off the car, sold the rest, made my $560 back in parts + $250 profit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Down a ways in this forum, transmission question(manual), there's a reply by Duts87ss that has a link you'll like. I'm doing much the same swap, but with an S-10 trans., the shifter is much farther forward and doesn't cause any problem with the bench seat. The smaller clutch and input shaft on the V-6 tranny won't be a problem, since I'm after economy, not tire smoke. My '82 Elky SS is a 305.

·
4,608 Posts
5 sp swap info needed

Chvypwr,Thanks for the reply and congradulations on doing the swap yourself.Sounds like you got a great setup and saved a lot of money.Thanks also to Rpope and Theelcaminofactory for the excellent forums to read.Great info for anyone interested in a conversion.Theelcaminofactory thanks again for helping in my forum Rearend identification needed.I have now been able to place an order with Keisler for a 5 speed kit.Hoping to get it done before the Power Tour next month.

·
4,608 Posts
5 speed swap info needed

Chvypwr,Poltergist,R Rope and Theelcaminofactory,Thanks for the info on the conversion.I just got a Keisler Engineering 5 speed Tremec installed in my 87 just in time to do part of the 06 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour.Looking forward to seeing so many great rides and wanted to thank you guys again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts