El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time to the forums. Im currently doing a resto-mod a 1967 El Camino. Been looking around at engines and have my eyes set on a 502 ram jet. Was wondering if anyone here has done it yet or has any information on it. Really worried about the height of it. I have the SS hood if it makes any difference. So will it fit? :neutral2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! :smileyb: Also does anyone know what needs to be done to fit a 5 speed manual in it that was born with a powerglide? How much of the tunnel needs to be cut? :neutral2:

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
Need a little more info.
what fuel system are you going to run on the 502? carb/TBI/TPI?
As far as the 5 speed, same question Which one?

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
I don't think you will have a hood clearance problem. I am actually running a spacer under the air cleaner on my Buick 455 and the Goodmark 2" hood.
I am also running the Tremec TKO600. If you want to keep the original driveshaft angle you will need to section the tunnel about an inch to an inch and a half. Mine is REALLY close but I elected to lower the rear of the tranny a little and go with adjustable upper rear arms and correct the angle.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

Even the "Perfect Fit" trans will require some tunnel modifications, but just around the shifter area.

The reason the 68+ require no cutting is the way the factory tunnel hump sits and the very large area removed for shifter clearance. If your body bushings are in good shape, you will just have some minor trimming (and welding) and you also have to get the
shifter hump for the 66/7 cars.

Can even use a console if if you desire.

I have the 600 in my 66 Elky------a very old TKO 500 in the 59 (before they were actually manufactured for GM), a modified Ford trans

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome 67 :texas:
did you see this write up.. http://gmhorsepower.com/Ram-Jet-502.php
The impressive intake only sits a half-inch taller than a comparable carbureted system with a high-rise intake manifold, Holley four-barrel carb and air cleaner.
but the SS hood on a 67 is purdy flat IIRC??

hope you have some traction problem solutions in mind..:poke:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even the "Perfect Fit" trans will require some tunnel modifications, but just around the shifter area.

The reason the 68+ require no cutting is the way the factory tunnel hump sits and the very large area removed for shifter clearance. If your body bushings are in good shape, you will just have some minor trimming (and welding) and you also have to get the
shifter hump for the 66/7 cars.

Can even use a console if if you desire.

I have the 600 in my 66 Elky------a very old TKO 500 in the 59 (before they were actually manufactured for GM), a modified Ford trans
Thanks for more replies! Great information.

Body mounts are brand new so no problems there. The man i have doing the body work said he will do the tunnel modifications. Do you know if the console for a powerglide will work with the TKO 600? Any complaints with it either?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welcome 67 :texas:
did you see this write up.. http://gmhorsepower.com/Ram-Jet-502.php

but the SS hood on a 67 is purdy flat IIRC??

hope you have some traction problem solutions in mind..:poke:
Thanks for the reply.

The SS hood has no height advantages that i know of to give more clearance. Are there any dimensions floating around of the 502 block or how much room is between the block and the hood?

And hopefully a light foot will help with traction for a while. Really want to run the old rally wheels.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Thanks for more replies! Great information.

Body mounts are brand new so no problems there. The man i have doing the body work said he will do the tunnel modifications. Do you know if the console for a powerglide will work with the TKO 600? Any complaints with it either?
PG console not gonna work
The perfect fit from keisler for 64-67 is a side shifter position
You will need a 66/7 4 spd console

Ignore the power window switches----I put em there 'cause I like them there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts