El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, tons of great info here! Ive had a 59 for about 15 years and its just sat in a barn, shop or under a tree for most of that time and its time to get this car back on the road. Planning on putting disk on front and rear and just had a few questions. I'm wondering if the single piston is gonna be enough for this car since its pretty freakin heavy.

here is links to the fronts and rear ive been thinkin about.

front
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-CHEVROLET-FRONT-POWER-DISC-BRAKE-CONVERSION-KIT-/350464389576?fits=Year:1959|Model:El%20Camino&hash=item51994e31c8&item=350464389576&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

rear
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-chevrolet-impala-rear-disc-brake-conversion-/350432266108?fits=Year:1959|Model:El%20Camino&hash=item519764077c&item=350432266108&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

also going to be putting a air ride system on it. gonna look around to see if theres any info about this on here. thanks for any help! gonna be a fun project!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Single piston should be fine.
I have dropped spindles with front discs and have really had no problem other than
a lack of power assist.

Rear discs are over-rated----not so fond of mine----considering removing them and going with
a "Big Brake Rear Drum" available from some of the Chevy vendors.

7" booster is not really enough-----but in my car that is all I can fit.
the booster comes within 1/2" of the 454 valve cover and within an 1/8" of the clutch master.
(454 and a TKO with hydraulic clutch)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k thanks. I'll start with the front end first.
I was gonna do drop spindles on mine but with the air bags I wouldn't need them.
It just has a 283 right now but would like to end up with a 572 in it....but lets just get it back on the road first! :beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
Welcome from Florida !! :florida: Got any pics ??

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!!!!!!!!! 59,, thats the year I popped into the world,, I would trade my 80 & 66 Camino for a 59!!!!, Post some pics when ya can,, Matty man

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

No pics right yet. its sitting on the 2 post hoist right now getting a few things put back together so i can get it driving back to my house. Im 34, my father bought this car when I was 15. He gave it to me as a grad gift at 18. I worked on it and drove it till i was about 20 and the frame broke pretty badly. I got as far as taking the body off and replacing the frame with one from a 4 door biscayne. never did get everything back together so thats where it is right now. gonna get it running to make the 15 mile drive to my place so i can tear it back apart this summer. Ive been hooked on snowmobiles for the past 10 years but its time to resurrect this project and give this car the respect it deserves!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts