El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Congrats 馃憦 as done deal Donny would say, "no pics, didn't happen"

Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks Sean and thank you also for your suggestions . Yeah , the black one in Homasassa is a sweet ride . I tried to get up to see it but between family surgeries , friends and old students Covid passing and dog with spinal surgery and needing constant care , getting out of the Keys has been impossible . This purchase is still in the works and hopefully by next week it will be sorted out and shipped . Wiil post more info later and try my best to get some photos posted . It is easier for me to wrestle with sharks than to post photos but will try .

Registered
Looks like my wife and I just bought a 59 Camino :cool: The certified check for $ 38,000 is on the way to the buyer and by next week we are hoping to have it shipped to the Florida Keys . I got an email from a company of a new ad that was 1 day old and called right away . . After seeing the photos , reading the description and talking with the owner , we pulled the trigger . Once I know more next week , I will post some info . Hopefully it will be the one I have been dreaming about for years and not a disappointment . Thanks to all of you that were interested and so kind as to try and alert me to the right one . For the time being I plan on holding on to my great running 87 Camino and decide later on if I want or can afford to keep both rides . Thanks so much to all of you and more later ;)
Congrats Lenny , Can you tell us what color it is ? engine & tranny , A/C ?

Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The good news is that I have purchased a 59 El Camino and awaiting shipment of it to the Keys .Keeping my fingers crossed that it arrives as advertised as I purchased it sight unseen after seeing the photos and talking with the owner . I very rarely do something like this but with all that`s going on , I took a blind leap of faith . The listing came up on Hemmings . I will try to do a link to the ad . The owner has been a mechanic for 9 years , owned his shop and has retired from full time work , having his son take over the business . Over a 10 year period the 59 was treated to a body off resto with power coated frame , body painted underneath , any rust was cut out and patch panels welded in . The strawberry colored paint looks good , new interior , new gauges , Vintage air , 327 cu. in. engine with a T 56 six speed , rebuilt rear with 3.70 gears . Front disc brakes added , air ride front and rear , stereo , electric bucket seats . Awaiting enclosed transport from Vermont next week and additionally hoping that this tropical storm coming up does not interfere with shipment . Thanks to those of you that helped me locate a 59 or encouraged the purchase . More later :)

Registered
Congrats Lenny, can't wait to see pics

Premium Member
The fins on a 59 are simply gorgeous and the whole thing is a big, beautiful piece of rolling mechanical sculpture. The first car that I ever remember in my family was a white 59 Impala with a red interior and I can't wait to see the pictures of yours.

Rick

Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
I posted a " want to buy " post in the " for sale /want to buy forums " , as I am interested in perhaps buying a 59 Camino , and additionally posting it here in Region 6 , Florida . Maximum price would be $ 38,000 depending on condition . Seller would need to allow a certified appraiser to check out the mechanical status , underneath chassis and all systems . Lack of rust is of major importance . No projects , monster horsepower or rust problems . Looking for a vehicle that I can turn the key and drive very long distances or take to a car show . I am currently looking at 15 Caminos online from cars.com , Trovit , E-bay etc. If someone turns me on to one that I do not know about yet and I purchase it , I will pay them a $ 500 finders fee . Thanks
Love first Gens, 59s are nicer then 60s but it would have to have a 60 since it's the year of my birth ! LOL Hope it's in good shape !

Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The fins on a 59 are simply gorgeous and the whole thing is a big, beautiful piece of rolling mechanical sculpture. The first car that I ever remember in my family was a white 59 Impala with a red interior and I can't wait to see the pictures of yours.

Rick
I had a 59 Chevy hardtop while going to college . I had done all the prep work for painting on a rust free car . Had a 327 engine installed and I added a 4 speed , rolled and pleated interior , bucket seats and a console . The trunk was big enough that I put my scooter in the trunk . I started to learn how to surf in Jacksonville , Fl. and my hugh 10 ft. board was tied down to the roof . Sold it for a few hundred dollars and went into debt and purchased a 1 year old 70 Cuda .

Premium Member
I had a 59 Biscayne, that was my first car. It got totalled in a hit and run accident. A person drove out of a tavern parking lot hitting it and took off. My first car and first accident. The person who hit me was caught, but there was no restitution.

Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yahooo and YES the 59 Camino was delivered this weekend at 5 am :sleep: . It was a great relief to Joan and I that it was just as advertised by a most honest and talented builder . To get an antique tag , I have to send the info into the State Of Florida so it may take a few weeks to be able to drive it on the road . Right now I am just occasionally driving it around my small neighborhood because US 1 always has a sheriff`s car somewhere . Here in the Florida Keys they will arrest you for driving with no tag , registration etc. It is obvious that the body off restoration was well and completely done , painted and all lines , mounts redone . The choppy idle sounds cool with exits just in front of the rear wheels . I may move them to a rear exit at some point as I love my music with the windows down . I don`t plan to change much of anything at this point as it was so well done . Old Bear has graciously offered to post some photos for me as soon as I figure out how to send them to him . More later and thanks to all of you for your encouragement in finding our dream Camino :cool:

Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Chris and Tom , Thanks for the mention that I may be able to do the registration in Key West . My wife read something to me that with the antique tag , you now needed to get it from the state . Hey , if it is on the internet , it has to be correct ?? Will check it out ;)

Reactions: Hat Trick

Registered
. Congrats my friend. Can't wait to see it.

Registered
Congrats Lenny. I think you are confusing the YEAR of Manufacture plate vs. an Antique Blue plate.
Standard Antique Blue plate comes from local tax collector.

If you want to use a 1959 Florida plate then there is some hocus pocus with Tallahassee. But that's ONLY for the real 1959 Florida license plate.

Cheers

Premium Member
Congratulations Lenny. Glad it came and made your expectations. Looking forward to seeing pictures when you get a chance.

Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks for the info Robpp . Yes , I do think I am confused . I do want a blue plate as opposed to a 1959 year specific tag . I went to the Monroe County Tag Agency in Key West yesterday . The nice lady ( one of my old students ) , said that since I have a " bill of sale " , as Vermont does not have a title ( like Florida ) , that I just need the past owner`s registration card . He is sending it to me and I will go back and hopefully that will get me the blue tag . Good thing I am sooo busy right now as it is killing Joan and I that it is sitting in the garage . Don`t know how other states do it , but here if they see you driving on a public road without registering and having an appropiate tag , they will arrest you . With the Ft. Christmas get together that R/T has organized on July 31 , I plan on driving up in my 87 Camino as I want to get a few miles on the 59 before getting on the highways . Every get together for me is a road trip from the Keys .

21 - 40 of 46 Posts