El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 59 and I cant link the pic to put it here for you,but if you go to my garage you can find a pic of it there ....any info on how to read this fire wall tag would be most appreciated.....:You_Rock:

Style: 59-1280
Trim: 803- Paint 942A
Body EP 3771

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with yr VIN no, but love yr ride ;-) if you want to sell, let me know ;-)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Ande..for the reply..however,im still on the pmt plan for this car...lol...if you want a 70 firebird..its for sale..to help pay for my Camino....:beer:
"Cry Baby" is a life long keeper I think....

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I have a 59 and I cant link the pic to put it here for you,but if you go to my garage you can find a pic of it there ....any info on how to read this fire wall tag would be most appreciated.....:You_Rock:

Style: 59-1280
Trim: 803- Paint 942A
Body EP 3771

Master Wrench
Name: Robert
Year: 1987
Model: Conquista
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 18458

Garage

For the new members who are having trouble posting pics video
Go to google www.photobucket.com it's free start an account then upload your pictures form your computer. Once you have your album pick the picture you want and click on it . It should be a big photo by itself then right click on the picture or link to the right both work then left click on copy come back here type what you want then right click and left click on paste. Or here's a video on how to.

BAM.

:nopic:

·
932 Posts
59-1280 just means 1959 el camino , you can research some of the other info here

http://www.348-409.com/paintdecode.html

the A after paint means one color if it were two tone it would be a b, you can decode your vin number as well on this site

942 paint is cameo coral
803 trim is gray interior made of cloth and vinyl

·
Registered
439 Posts
EP 3771 is the Fisher Body Plant code and the body sequence number

EP - Cleveland Ohio Fisher Body Plant. Built station wagon bodies and other odd low volume bodies (i.e. sedan delivery) which the El Camino was a variant of. Plant was operated from 1959 to 1965. Note-No Final Assembly Plant there. All bodies were shipped by rail to another city for final assembly. Plant code will be in the VIN.

3771 is running count for this '59 el camino body. So its, number 3771 that year.

·
932 Posts
:You_Rock:Thanks again ! Fellow Canuck!

You are more then welcome , I missed the info that Z71 was nice enough to let you know ,you can find all the decoding for cowl and vin tags on the link I provided , because you asked that question about the cowl tag I was able to learn more more about my 59,so thanks

Chris

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
You guys made quick work of deciphering the tag. I can only add one missing bit of info. The 1280 indicates V8 engine. This was not always the case, especially with the Ohio plant, because as one responder indicated, it was not a final assembly plant. The vin code should confirm this with either a G for L6 or H for V8 engine. I went to your garage photos and noticed the accessory code of DL. This indicate delux lacquer. Also looks like the final assembly plant was Flint, MI. Nice ride hope you get her showroom clean again.

·
932 Posts
I have a question if anyone has run across this , beside athe paint number is a letter , a refers to single color ,b refers to two tone ,one of mine has a paint code 970 c which is gothic gold and satin beige ,what does the c stand for ?

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Leo,

Here is what I have.
A, indicates single shade.

B, Second color on roof only, most commonly on 1100/1200 series.

C, Second color on roof and side modelings, 1700, 1800 series.

D, Second color on roof, back panels and cove area. 1500/1600 series.

I found this on a web sight some time back. The only issue I have with it is that 1100/1200 series also used the C style paint sceme which was not indicated on the chart. I also don't understand what the cove area is on a Bel-Air.

·
932 Posts
Leo,

Here is what I have.
A, indicates single shade.

B, Second color on roof only, most commonly on 1100/1200 series.

C, Second color on roof and side modelings, 1700, 1800 series.

D, Second color on roof, back panels and cove area. 1500/1600 series.

I found this on a web sight some time back. The only issue I have with it is that 1100/1200 series also used the C style paint sceme which was not indicated on the chart. I also don't understand what the cove area is on a Bel-Air.

Thank you for the information , there are so many little differences on the 59s and it is hard to keep track of everything

·
Registered
439 Posts
fyi.........................................

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Z71,

Great piece of information. This confirms and corrects the letter code for me. I wish there were a document that explained the accessory codes like this. I have been working on this type of information for some time now. I have a list of the various items offered as accessories but, the codes on the tags don't directly relate to the accessory chart. Not only that, the three Fischer plants that built El camino bodies did not use the sampe codes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
There was little standardzation between Fisher Body Plants and as well with Chevrolet/B-O-P Assembly plants that had Fisher Body plants at same complex. I found out that the same codes could have different meaning when combined with different options. Although the often say these codes were for servicing the vehicles, apparently the never put that information into any pubications. In reality is was a big mess with redundant managments and operations and led to GM consolidating all operations in the later 60's under one GM division, GMAD (GM Assembly Division). Back in those days they did not need all the information people expect today.

·
932 Posts
Its funny but for the most part I found decoding the 59 trim tag easier then any other years of el camino . It helped that I had 2 different 59s to check out the differences also , 1 is a very plain jane model while the other was a heavily optioned vehicle with power steering ,power brakes, deluxe heater ,tinted windows . Does anyone know if any of the el caminos come with bel air badging on the fenders ?

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Leo,

They were all built with the El Camino script here in the USA. I can't speak for how they were sold in Canada. Often times the Canadian models were built somewhat different as far as trim and branding. I have also seen trucks with Impala trim. This is another option that was not offered on the 59-60 units. At least according to the sales literature. Do you own one that was built in Canada?

·
932 Posts
Leo,

They were all built with the El Camino script here in the USA. I can't speak for how they were sold in Canada. Often times the Canadian models were built somewhat different as far as trim and branding. I have also seen trucks with Impala trim. This is another option that was not offered on the 59-60 units. At least according to the sales literature. Do you own one that was built in Canada?
One was built in los angeles , I will have to find the others trim tag to see where it was built , (both were imported into Canada from Washington state couple years ago) the fenders were not original , chances are they were off a bel air . There are a few different things like motor mounts ,zbar ,old school electric fuel pump that were not original to the one 59 .

Chris

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
That is why it has Bel-Air emblems on it. The front clip has been changed. The nice thing is the trim is the same and you may find that the emblem holes also ine up. I have got a fairly good idea of what the normal accessory codes are for Elkys made in LA. trim code for the body should be VN for Van Nuys. The accessory codes are BD, includes cab upgrades, IP, padded dash, FR, fender rockets and wheel covers. If you have any of those on your cowl tag you can check out the interior for clues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts