El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I got stock 14" rally's on my '86. I want to get stock '86 Monte Carlo SS wheels (15").
Is this doable? Do I need spacers? I'm pretty ignorant about wheels. Also I see there are 15X7 and 15X8 SS wheels out there. I just want to get whatever fits without having to mod. anything else.

Thanks all!

Happy St. Pats. :beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i would stay with the 7 that is the factory width for the g body .they should fit right on with no spacers

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
There was a post somewhere on here about the wheel and spacing and such, check in the search in the top ribbon on the site enter wheels I think and see what you find with all the different types of wheels. Look under wheel fitment guide from Billy Jack 6/21

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I did it and love it. I put 235/60/15 Radial T/A's on the N90 MSCC wheel. Same height, wider tread, looks great. The only issue I've had is occasionally i scrub against the plastic inner fender. I pushed the plastic back a little and it solved it. My 2c--Patrick.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got em!

I got my SS GM rims. SWEET!

But now I have a new issue. My lug holes are NOT chamfered (for acorn nuts).

So I guess I need a shanked / collared nut???

I cant find any on the web, or Gorilla site which outright states a fit for my app. Any ideas?

Thank you all!

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Are you sure that they are indeed GM N90's?
All mine take the acorn style nuts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go with 15x8 front/rear, P235 60 series radials, trim rings and hub covers like my 83 came with. Beware that front and reay hub covers are different, the front covers are deeper for clearance of the front bearing cup. You cannot find 14inch tires anywhere, 15s are getting hard to find. i plan on 17s in the future.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
No chamfer, just a hole? You got 79-81 Camaro wheels. Those and the late 70s Trans Am aluminum wheels use a difficult to find shanked nut. And your studs are metric, so those would not work anyway. You might have to go through the Dorman printed catalog looking at all the M12-1.5 nuts and see if any fit into your rim. You'll need a cooperative parts store. Otherwise, sell those to a Camaro guy and buy MCSS N90s. Now you know what to look at more closely if you go that route. A custom rim shop might have a solution--I know they seem to specialize in making rims fit where they were'nt originally supposed to go.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Or, contact the seller and see if they made a mistake. Now that I've seen the ad, it sounds like they listed them wrong or shipped the wrong ones. The photo sure looks 'unchamfered', which is wrong for a Monte. The Monte SS rim sould use a Dorman 611-089 nut.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all so much! I'll mic everything and start hunting for nuts before I go nuts. :screwy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts