El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried in vain to install a brand new full front bumper impact strip on my '86.

Paid a premium from the ElCamino store.

My car is unmolested. Near mint garaged X California car.

It was a much softer plastic material. Used full threaded studs in place of all the snap in originals. (A few originals did have about 5 studs)

This new piece had a deeper center back tab that prevented a flush install.

Also just putting applying hand torque on the nuts destorted the very soft plastic.

Any real torque on the studs would have surly pulled them out of the soft plastic.

I dont believe any quality control was perfomed on this product.

This is my THIRD return to this store.

Very sad day for my ElCamino. :neutral2:

·
0 Posts
They've had many sad days. It's always best to go to craigslist for people parting them out and snag spare parts when you can.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
There are NOS ones out there. Check ebay. They are a bit pricey at $169-$199 but they are original and barring any disasters should last forever. The rears are extremely hard to find and I'm sure they would be 2-3X the price of the front if they ever showed up on ebay. The reproduction rears are not so great either. Just snugging the nuts will create a wavy, distorted surface. But I guess it's better than nothing unless you swap out the bumpers for a set w/o holes.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey PB, I just went thru that,.. no kidding, what a p.o.s. the aftermarket part is. It's not Eckler's, just the way it's cheaply made. This is now my 2rd. aftermarket strip and they all do the same. The impact strip is sunk in areas and sticks out other places, looks bad. Me & Bobby78 (who owns a body shop), discussed it and found the only formula is to install a N.O.S. Strip (new orig. stock) and pay the extra money (as his above post says). I intend to unscrew mine and buy the better one,.. What a headache ! - George :let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My first impact strip for the front bumper really sucked and finally did replace it with a NOS, which looks beautiful still after two years on the car (show). Wish I could remember where I got it. Sorry but good luck, El Camino store does not get business from me unless they are the only ones that carry the item. My car is in excellent shape for today. Michael in Virginia:smileyb:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Sure glad someone posted this mine is the same way and I thought it was just a cheap replica they put on mine five years a go and was just getting ready to buy another from OPGI OR THE EL CAMINO STORE.
THANKS

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
I think I have a front & rear NOS bumper strips ! Have to check my stash !!
Send me a pm if you are interested in buying them !! (will not be cheap)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am referring to the chrome bolt on bumper guards with rubber that are on each side of the rear taillights and front license plate. This is not the horizontal rubber strip that goes the lenght of bumpers. Thanks, did not make myself clear and was an option. Nick

·
Registered
691 Posts
bumper impact strip nuts

Can anyone tell me the size nut needed to mount a impact strip on the rear bumper????The strip has the studs and the one old one I was able to saw off had a nut with a flat washer attached...Anyone know the size.Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am referring to the chrome bolt on bumper guards with rubber that are on each side of the rear taillights and front license plate. This is not the horizontal rubber strip that goes the lenght of bumpers. Thanks, did not make myself clear and was an option. Nick
Nick, to my knowledge the bumper guards (sometimes called bumperettes) are not reproduced. I did buy a used set from GM Classis Parts a few months ago. I was able to find NOS front pads at Dixie Monte Carlo (although their online catalog says rear, they are fronts). The rear pads were OK. I did check eBay, but the only complete pairs to come up were from GM Classis Parts.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Take it off!

Off of G-Body site! Similar info!
1. Take off the bumper
2. Get a pair of hog nose pliers or something that will work!
3. Spray the pressed on metal "nuts" on the plastic Nubs that pass through the bumper with some kind of lube.
4. Gently grab the metal nuts and twist, pull or unscrew.
5. There are like 12 of them all along the inside of the bumper
6. If the bumper you have has the Impact Bumper Guards you need to take those off too because the strip runs underneath it.

Putting one back on is the reverse. If you just press the metal nuts back on or screw them in tight and it secures the strip back on!

Mine is a NOS strip of off e-bay...I had to cut it for the b-guards! Good luck!

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts