El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 84 el camino and the last time I had a speaker box and amp in the cargo space it got ripped off. I would like to know if I can screw into the metal on the back or sides of the area and not cause leaks. Or any idea less drastic that will work.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You can run screws into the bottom and sides, but not the top. Drill through the top of the cargo area, and it'll go into the bed. If your stuff got ripped off out of the sprare tire cargo area, it sounds like sombody knew where your stuff was. Not everybody knows about the Elky's "secret spot".

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
You didn't know? It's a great place for sneaking someone into a drive in movie...or maybe transporting alcoholic beverages into dry countys or to hide a girlfriend (so wife doesn't see her) or for a quick trip or two to Mexico.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
theelcaminofactory said:
You didn't know? It's a great place for sneaking someone into a drive in movie...or maybe transporting alcoholic beverages into dry countys or to hide a girlfriend (so wife doesn't see her) or for a quick trip or two to Mexico.
Damn! :p That is what I had planned. I was going to smuggle illeagal alieans from Mexico in that area and now everyone knows my hiding spot! I bet I could have gotten a whole family in there. It is better than the back of an 18 wheeler, it is airconditioned! :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
cargo area

ok i work in a the parts department of a chevy dealership, and i have tried very hard to find the cover for the cargo area of my 82 conquista. i cant even find it for an 82, only can for 85, and thats discontinued. if someone could tell me where to get one (other than the junkyard) i would be a very happy camper! thanks

·
1,867 Posts
I see them on ebay, but not sure of the quality.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am actually having a custom sub box (it will also mount 2 more speakers and the amp) built to fit exactly in the secret spot... I hope nobody jacks my system! I run rockford fostgate everything 8O ... Where am i going to put the spare? I hope i never pop a tire!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Here is what I am doing with my 80. The spare, jack and Battery will be mounted in the bed between the back of the cab and the rear axel. I am making a "Box" for them so that they don't throw off the look I am going for in the bed. My bed is carpeted fron to back and top to bottom.

I am mounting speakers in the cargo area much like what it sounds like your doing. The extra weight on the rear axel, from the jack, tire and battery, will help with traction along with the topper's weight. I'll make some enclousers for speakers that will mount at an angle so that when the bed cover is open they will face the back and be level. When the cover is lifted the inside rear speaklers will be disconnected and the bed speakers will take over. I like to party outside and I don't like leaving a door open or the window down to hear the music.

I found some electric power rams that will lift the bed cover automatically at A1 electric. So most of that will be operated from a switch in the console. I am also adding some lighting in the bed and a piece of reflective mylar at the cab wall so when the lid is up at night it will look pretty nice. Not white lights but colored blue and red.

I have also thought about adding some sort of sound pulser so the lights sort of flash with the beat of the music. I haven't found anything that will do that just yet.

It might not suit everyones taste but it does mine. I like good Country or Oldies rock (60/70's stuff)

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I bought one off Ebay from a seller that had just one and it looked like a good match from the pic. When I got it, and I did get it cheap, it was a cheap grade carpet and the color was close but still a mismatch. The fit was good though. It'll do for now, but I'm planning on buying the whole carpet set soon anyway from some place reputable. As far as your system getting ripped off, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that someone you possibly know may be the culprit, unless someone heard your system while you were blasting it and followed you home. Not many know about the smugglers box unless they own an Elky or know someone who owns one.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Custom components sells carpet sets and they come with the rear curtin but I think that they sell just that rear curtian. Sorry I didn't mention it before I got carried away.

Storage Compartment

Part # 7711010

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
I thought about doing something simular to ElkyPete. I've been considering making use of the cargo area and bed of the elky to cre8 an awesome competition SPL system. 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts