El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local Chevy dealer failed my state safety inspection saying I need a new exhaust from catalytic converter back. So I saved big bucks and bought all the parts on-line, and spent a couple hours last couple days removing the old system.

Here's what I hadn't planned on... the pipe from the catalytic converter to the air pump is rusted through where it attaches to the cat conv. I either need a new one or a metal pipe to connect the cat conv to the old air pipe. And I'm planning on bringing the truck back in to the Chevy dealer on Monday for the recheck.

What kind of short metal pipe about 15/32" or 13 mm inside diameter of what material has anyone used for this repair and where did you get it? Does the local auto parts store sell the pipe? Does the local super-hardware store sell a suitable durable metal pipe? Something like brake line / gas line tubing would work if it was available that big. Looking for something I can get tomorrow (Saturday).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
NAPA used to have a short section of this pipe that was used as a repair section. Check with them.

:poke:

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Helps me to know what I'm looking for so I can get back on the road!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you can have the muffler shop weld it back together or high temp silicone hose. worse case i have the old one from my 86

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
X2 on the hi-temp silicone hose...I remember it being green, put it on with a couple of hose clamps...

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a Walker 35574 today. Contains a metal pipe same diameter as the air pipe off the catalytic converter, a green hose with increasing inside diameter (that's why the kit is so expensive), and four hose clamps. It'll work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
whats a catalytic convertor ? :nanawrench: headers to straight pipe ... woot woot !! .. gotta love that Alabama and Kansas have no emissions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts