El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used any of the dash caps that are available on the market? I'm looking into getting one, but I'd like to hear if anybody has been impressed by the quality of one make over another. Thanks so much for your time!
Kyle

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bought mine from Dixie Monte, they painted to color code and it looks good. Over 2 years now and no lifting or any other issues. The only small problem with install was some trimming was required around the upper corner speaker grills but in retrospect I should have purchased the cover with no speaker holes as I am installing door mounted speakers anyway.

·
Supporting Member
4,525 Posts
They work, but are not perfect. If you want show quality, you may want to replace the dash. If it's a driver, and you want to make it look nicer, then the covers are OK. They are thin, so easy to crack when installing. Some grinding and fitting will be required, but nothing major. Replace any speakers before installing, just in case. If you are changing color, be sure to dye the areas around the old dash that might show through ( defroster vents, around the AC vents, Glove box, etc.

Re manufactured dashes have been around for a while, but very expensive (1200+). Recently they have been showing a new dash that is much more reasonable ( although still expensive at $850). Something to compare.
Dixie Monte Carlo sells them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-88-Che..._Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_969

·
Registered
691 Posts
85 dash cover

I'm waiting to receive the Dixie Monte 100% coverage dash cover.Dark blue...What do I have to do besides removing brake release handle???Do I leave the speaker grilles in the old dash or remove them and srcrew them into new one??I'm hoping the color matches the existing color.Dixie Monte doesn't have a color chart like some of the other sites...I've heard...Remove wind shield..probably won't do that...Remove Box where guages are (shadow box?) Is that necessary and if so,what's the best way to do that???How many screws are there and where are they?Glove compartment??Just make sure there's clearance and trim new one if necessary???Any help is greatly appreciated..Thanks,this site is a great resource,bugsy.....

·
Supporting Member
4,525 Posts
Remove the Gauge Pod. Here's a link to changing the bulbs, which includes instructions for removing the pod.
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27161

Paint any areas that might show through if the colors are not a match ( defrost vents, speaker grills, area around speakers, center vents, glovebox, radio, etc.). If you have cracks in your current dash, scrape them clean and fill. I use a "Plastic Weld" epoxy I find at Lowes / Home Depot in the glue section. It is a 2-part epoxy. Fill, and sand smooth. Any protrusions will show through your new dash if not taken care of.

The caps are fragile, so handle easily. I cracked mine on install trying to make it a "perfect fit". Pick up a tube of clear RTV adhesive- what they supply is just not enough. Don't overdo it on the glue, but use sufficient around the edges to hold it in place. Clean underside of cap and dash with a paint prep prior to gluing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thank you for the response.Much appreciated...Do I leave the speaker grills on the original or put them on the new one???

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Bought mine from Dixie Monte, they painted to color code and it looks good. Over 2 years now and no lifting or any other issues. The only small problem with install was some trimming was required around the upper corner speaker grills but in retrospect I should have purchased the cover with no speaker holes as I am installing door mounted speakers anyway.
I had exactly the same minor problem with mine. After that, it looks great.

·
Supporting Member
4,525 Posts
On Mine, I installed the speaker grills after installation, but in reality, they didn't fit well. I thought the grills would hold down the cap, but instead they slipped through the cap back to their original location. That being said, I guess you could leave the grills as is.

·
Supporting Member
4,525 Posts
Be aware that the speakers are mounted to the grills, so to pull them is a pain, to replace them after the cap is on will be nearly impossible. I had my dash out of the car, so I replaced the speakers and mounted them to the dash. Then the grills could just pop on. In you case, if the speakers are good, leave them alone and try fitting the cap over the grills and see how it looks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
dash cap

Has anyone thought about putting a thin layer of foam rubber under the new dash cap???After filling in gaps,I'm thinking of putting a thin layer of foam sheeting in between the old dash and the new dash cap...I think it would eliminate any of the old filled in cracks showing through to the new one...Any input would be appreciated...I filled the cracks with silicone and can't really sand it the way I'd like to...Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
I forgot where I got mine, but it isn't a Dixie. I had my upholstery shop install it. It looks better than the old cracked dash, but not perfect. Like others have said, it needs trimming and there are issues with the speakers. Also, it had to be screwed to the dash at the bottom to hold it on tight. The screws they put on look fine, but you can see where it doesn't fit perfect.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts