El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading tons of posts, but I'm still confused, and since I'm going to pick out my wheels and tires (and I only want to do it once..) I thought I'd ask for guidance.

Here's the situation. I've got an 82 Elkie, with 383 (dynoed @ 427hp 490 ftlbs). Since we have a lot of curvy roads here, I want as good handling as I can. I know I want to lower the front (it spent too long on Jackstands LOL ) I'm looking at 18 x 8 wheels with 235/40/18 (approx) tires

Do I want to go with drop spindles or cut/lowering coils?
I picked up a tighter steering box off ebay (from a monte or BN i think ) and I plan to do a minor front end rebuild. (new bushings, etc. ) maybe new A-arms,

I want to pick wheels and tires that won't rub.....

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance all!

Frank

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
I have 18
245/45ZR18-100W-M&S NEXEN DON'T GET THIS BRAND THEY SOUND LIKE A TRUCK ON THE FREEWAY. NOT LOWERED NO RUB.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
If you cut your stock (used) coils by 1 coil, it will drop 2 inches, just like mine did. I am gonna replace mine with new moog coils and chop 1/2 a coil off them.

while you're in there, put poly bushings in the control arms, lots of posts about that on here, but I got mine from speedway in 2 days for like $62. LOVE THEM!!

Also, you should seriously think about going with the Jeep steering shaft (search is your friend!)

:poke:

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have put Hotchkiss springs in the front and rear, result was dropped all four corners 1 1/2". I'm running 16" tires with 3.75 backspacing. I can be as aggressive as I please in the corners with no issues. Backspacing of 4.0" was just too close. Cutting coils will change the spring rate usually in an unpredictable fashion. Replace the front springs with a set meant to do the job properly. Cutting used springs is just not the right way to go. Go with the Hotchkiss and enjoy.... If you want to see what the setup will look like, borrow a wheel with 4.25 backspacing, put it on and see what you have.....

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I used lowering springs from NPD. Whether new springs or cutting coils, Alot of shims will need to be added with stock control arms. Spindles give you exact drop without changing factory geometry. Ihave 8' rims& 245/60/15 Bfg's. I slightly streatched my fenderwells & rolled the inner lip up slightly .Cut off outer portion of fenderwell metal & plastic& will make new squarer, taller part later. LOWERED, FAT RUBBER, & NO MORE RUBBING.:twisted:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Definitely go with the drop spindles if you want to drop it. One company made them for one of my friend's 85 Monte Carlo SS and I believe they should fit your 82, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Auto Anything . Com

They have 2" Drop spindles for late model Elcos. They are made by Belltech and that is what I am going to use to drop my 79 in the front and use Belltech 2" springs for the rear.
I think a pair for the spindles is in the neighborhood of 160$.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you want to lower the front and keep the original ride quality, use drop spindles.
If you want to lower both ends of the car and get a firmer ride, use lowering springs. I got a set from Performance Suspension Technology.
I suppose you checked out the current thread on cutting a coil from the spring. That will work for the front, but not for the rear because of the pigtail on both ends of the spring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.