El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 El Camino and i have posted on my idea of a roll bar and lights, but roll bars are hard to find for an El Camino. I like the look of the roll bar on the 86 IROC-S El Camino Pace Car but dont know how to get one. Does anybody make reproduction roll bars like those, or happen to know the specs and measurements of one so i could build my own like it?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
PM E-man, he may provide some info on the roll/light bar.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can go to a metal shop and have one made up, if you need to. The secret is to make a plate for the 'underside of the bed approx. the same size as the plate the 4 bolts go through on the top, bar side. Then the bed is sandwiched inbetween for strength.

Unless you are wanting to use the rollbar for stiffening up the chassis or for true roll over protection?? Whomever's product you use, I'd give serious thought to getting a second coat of paint on it and to use some gasket material & sealer when it's bolted to the top of the bed to prevent rustification- Nitro-Nicky

·
Registered
172 Posts
In addition, there's a couple guys on TV who do one of the weekend hot-rod shows. They did a great series on bodywork first, with the 5th gen El Camino; then more recently they revisited it and did a very fancy light bar rack when turning their standard El Camino into a Pace Car El Camaro. You can find THAT Lite Bar Edition on the Internet. The bar comes up and OVER the top front area of the cabin sheetmetal. The one guy is bald and a genius body man. The other, non bald guy- Jared Zimmerman(sp?) has been doing car product commercials lately, such as for 'BLACK MAGIC' tyre & wheel care products.
Hopefully that video will be of even better assistance! Nitro

·
Registered
603 Posts
Do some measuring around the bed of your EC.Make a diagram showing those measurements.Maybe a roll bar from one of those smaller 4WD pickups will fit without too much modification.They show up cheap on CL all the time.Answer the ads,see if you can find a close match.One from a Chevy K10 Stepside might be the right width,probably have to adjust the height for the EC cab.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Another (after)thought.Try a local fabricator.There's a guy in this area that builds custom bumpers/cages/roll bars for the racers and 4WD people.He does good work,to sanctioned safety specs if required, but it's priced accordingly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to look in my notes, I talked to a guy that had the specs on building the roll bar. I was thinking about the same thing, but welding stubs to the frame to bolt the cage to !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh cool! Yeah i dont know the specs and cant find any. Im only doing the roll bar outside the cab on mine, not getting a roll cage but good luck with your build also!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts