El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was interested in a new radio for my 85 Elcamino. I currently have an older Alpine head unit in the dash. I was hoping to install a newer radio that enables blue tooth streaming. I called Crutchfield to inquire about a new radio and they said my only options are radios supplied by Retro Sound. I was hoping to go with a larger faced radio and not a two knob style but they said it will not fit the dash. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Elcamino and Monte Carlo come with a large cube style radio originally? Have any of you installed a larger face radio without having to cut your dash? I'd really like a larger face radio, I find the buttons and controls difficult to use on the small radios like my Alpine.
Thanks in advance for any advice or information!

·
Supporting Member
4,395 Posts
Pretty much any modern Single Din size radio will fit, with an adapter plate that is readily available. The El Camino is a 1.5 Din size, and the supply of more modern radios in that size is rather slim. You may still be able to find one that will fit the opening without an adapter ( Pioneer made them, as well as some of the off shore countries)

I would find the Single Din radio that has the features you like, and use an adapter kit and harness adapter to install and enjoy!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Id like to install a 1.5 din flip up DVD/GPS/Radio in my 1985 El Camino. Just hate to mess with all that mounting and wiring hassle..
Has anyone ever installed a Single Din Radio with a flip up screen in a 5Th Gen El Camino?? Was it hard to install?

Robert Jordan
WInnsboro Tx

·
Registered
185 Posts
I pulled the stereo from my car (it had already been "upgraded" to a crappy GM unit from a newer car) and installed a Kenwood bluetooth amplifier. All that has to be run to operate it is power, ground and speaker wire. It is small and hidden behind the seats and has plenty of power to run two 4.5" speakers and two 6x9's in boxes. It also has a small remote unit I was able to mount next to the steering wheel to pause and skip tracks and control the volume. So far it has worked very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-1177524-Automotive-Amplifier-Kac-M1824BT/dp/B00UTXQL74

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Hi everyone,

I was interested in a new radio for my 85 Elcamino. I currently have an older Alpine head unit in the dash. I was hoping to install a newer radio that enables blue tooth streaming. I called Crutchfield to inquire about a new radio and they said my only options are radios supplied by Retro Sound. I was hoping to go with a larger faced radio and not a two knob style but they said it will not fit the dash. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Elcamino and Monte Carlo come with a large cube style radio originally? Have any of you installed a larger face radio without having to cut your dash? I'd really like a larger face radio, I find the buttons and controls difficult to use on the small radios like my Alpine.
Thanks in advance for any advice or information!
The 86-87 had the larger radio , the 85 & below had the smaller radios .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the dash boards in the 1985 and 1987 the same? I installed a new dash in my 85 when I restored the car. Will the din and a half be the same in my 85?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
DIN is the abbreviation for "Deutsches Institut fur Normung," the German Institute for Standardization. It was adopted by instrument makers as the standard for panel-mounted instruments, with standardized cutout dimensions for controllers, recorders, and other boxed mechanical devices (like car stereos?).
1/4 DIN measures 92mm X 92mm.
Single DIN (1 DIN) measures 50mm X 180mm. (No, four 1/4 DIN does not equal 1 DIN.)
Double DIN measures (2 DIN) 100mm X 180mm.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Din 1=2" high
Din 2=4" hich
DIn 1.5= 3" ???

I did find a din 1.5 to DIn 1.0 adapter from Amazon.
I think what I am going to do is install a Din 1 7" Flip up screen with a GPS/DVDS/Radio/USB device in that area.

Robert Jordan
Winnsboro Texas

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,567 Posts
I once did the conversion using a later GM radio in an '85 Monte Carlo (same dash as a Camino). The opening was big enough, so I just had to replace the original mounting plate with a couple small angle brackets and carefully measure and cut the opening of the trim plate. Looked just like factory.

I also installed an early 2000's GM CD player in my'87 using an adapter harness. Much better sound than the original, but unfortunately no bluetooth. GM lagged behind many other mfr's in offering bluetooth, since they were over-confident that everyone wanted their overpriced OnStar phone system.

Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information. I thought the hole for the radio was the same size. Aren’t the dashes the same? I always thought only the bezel opening is different.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I was going to say that carbon fiber addon is on my list to add besides the radio. I think the wood grain look is very dated now.

Robert Jordan
Winnsboro,Tx

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
That looks really good! The carbon fiber looks great!
Thanks!

Here's a couple of photos of the whole dash:

I'm in the process of painting the car white right now. I also just installed new black carpet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts