El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing if anyone has an aftermarket exhaust they want to get rid of. My 81 has purple hornies bolted to the headers and nothing after that. I would love to get them off and bolt on something that doesn't exit under my seat and kill me with fumes. If no one has anything on the cheap i'll go with the summit kit, but figured I'll try here first.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any pictures of it on your elky?
Pictures of the lack of exhaust? It's basically just 2 glass packs sticking off the end of long tube headers with 2" exits (on the mufflers). They're just going in the trash once I get a real system bolted to the headers.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
here's a low-buck way to do it....

put on your new mufflers, then take some measurements. Go to advance/az/oreillys and get a section of 45* curve, and a couple pieces of 3ft long straight sections. don't forget clamps.

come off of the back of the mufflers, angle 45* towards the outside, then run a pipe over to the edge of the rocker panel. Cut it off at an angle flush with the lower body edge, then put on the clamps.

can do this yourself in the driveway (easier to pull straddle of the ditch out front, so you have room under there) in about a weekend morning. no muss, no fuss, and low buck too!

Of course, if you wanna go REAL low buck, you can get pieces off of a pickup truck exhaust at the salvage yard. Look around, some of it will be in good shape.

:poke:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was contemplating making my own. Cutting off the glass pack flanges and welding them on to a reducer (they're 3"). To save some coin and use the $$ on some more important body/interior pieces I'll reconsider the idea. It's also nice that my brother has a lift. :beer: Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts