El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The previous owner of my 85 lived in a state that didn't require a front tag so he removed and lost the original bracket. Now that the 85 is mine and in Virginia I unfortunately require a front tag so I need to track the proper bracket down.

My bumper is the kind without the impact strip or guards and has one single threaded white plastic insert dead center of the bumper with two bolt holes on the bottom of the bumper. Just about every front tag bracket I've found online has no center hole, and the few I have found with the center hole don't have any way to attach at the bottom (I picture the plate like a joke bow-tie spinning in the wind on the center bolt)

Does anyone have a picture of what mine should look like or know where I can get one? I put a want ad on craigslist and someone sent me a picture of this but I don't see any way to attach it at the bottom. I'm sure I could rig it to work but I like things to be original and correct.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My bumper

Also I found this picture, this bracket appears to have the correct bolt layout, is this the type I should be looking for? If so what years and models would have had this type?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hidden Front Plate

I live in OHIO and I went with a Hidden Remote Front plate, works great!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I could easily fab something up or adapt something from another car but like I said, I really like when things are correct and original so I'd like to find the correct bracket if I can.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
My bumper

https://i.imgur.com/Y5lq9My.jpg

Also I found this picture, this bracket appears to have the correct bolt layout, is this the type I should be looking for? If so what years and models would have had this type?

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/923/BMvmmE.jpg
The picture is indeed the original bracket you need if I recall correctly. I no longer have my 85, but it had that exact bracket. You may find one on a similar year g-body car. I have a 1980 donor car, I'll check the front bumper next time I go over to the shop. I may have one.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I live in Illinoise where everything is required , but I wont ruin the look of the car with a front plate , its stupid , I'll just take the citation , which is stupider .but freedom isnt free.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have the expendable income for lots of tickets, the cops around here are the bored kind that watch for front plates, window tint, bumper height etc., it's even illegal to modify the stock exhaust in VA, and since I'm already going to be rolling around on antique tags that you're not supposed to drive daily on I'd like to avoid as many police encounters as possible.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What part of VA are you in? I live in Alexandria and my El Camino has no cats and loud muflers. My Volvo has a modified and loud exhaust and my mini truck has a pretty loud exhaust as well. I have never had any trouble. Both my Volvo and mini truck are lowered as well. If you are doing all the work to get it back up to snuff, I would get regular tags if I were you. There is no emissions inspection and then you would never have to worry about getting pulled over. The fine for daily driving an antique tagged car is pretty severe. Inspection is $16.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm in Fairfax city. The antique tags are more of a temporary thing so I can park in the street while I fix it without having to pass inspection. When it's all together and going I'm going to put regular tags on it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gotcha. I have done the same in the past. Hope it all goes smoothly, looks like a nice car, I like the way they look in white.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts