El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of getting my '84 repainted so I've stripped all the chrome and noticed the the black rubber strip in the front window trim if aged and falling apart. Can you buy just those strips and replace the originals or do I have to replace all the trim?

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
I bought a set from Dixie Restoration. They were absolute garbage and I threw them away.

I don't see where they are necessary anyway. Looks better without them:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I placed an order with Mikes Montes yesterday and it hasn't shipped yet so I'll see if they can add it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks. I placed an order with them yesterday and it hasn't shipped yet so I'll see if they can add it.
After I just said they were garbage??

·
Registered
877 Posts
I would wager that all the replacements are the same.
Not the same material as the originals at all. Cheap plastic.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Just delete them. You'll never notice the difference! They were originally designed to fix a buzzing sound from wind turbulence under the molding. Didn't really help that much anyway. If you end up getting the buzz at highway speeds just stuff a piece of foam under it where you can hear the noise.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5th gen window trim

I just got a set from Mikes Montes today, $17.99 on fleabay with free shipping. They look just like the originals and fit great. NOT a cheap piece of crap. They're made just like the originals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts