El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been discussions, for years, about the lack of after-market fuel injection fuel tanks for 5th Gen El Caminos. The most common solution has been the adaptation of used Chev Caprice Wagon or Buick Roadmaster Wagon tanks. A couple of months ago, I saw a Facebook post about 1971-72 Chevy El Camino EFI Fuel Tank with Notched Corners, from Tanks Inc.. A subsequent conversation with forum member B52Bombadier (Rick) lead me to believe that tank could possible fit a 5th Gen. It does....It's a perfect fit except that the filler tube exits the Tanks Inc. tank about 1.5" farther to the rear than the stock tank - meaning it doesn't exactly line up with the fuel door. I solved that by cutting off and using the curved filler tube from the stock tank and a angled rubber adapter tube to make a "S" curve that corrected the alignment. Here are some pictures and a parts breakdown.
Tanks Inc.
Tank TM34KN-T $305
Pump GPA-2 $210
Sender (Universal tube type) 6" depth T-GML-06 $98
8" Rubber filler tube adapter (angled) 53C $11

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
Les, This is a fine thread to help other 5th Gen folks.
Is the new tank size (capacity) similar and the tank baffled?

·
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Les, This is a fine thread to help other 5th Gen folks.
Is the new tank size (capacity) similar and the tank baffled?
The new tank is baffled. I'm not sure about the capacity yet. I'm pretty sure my old tank was 22 gal and, I suspect the new tank is probably 17. The old tank was close to an even depth but, the new one is tapered - so, in sure it will hold less. I put in exactly 5 gallons so that when I go fill it up - probably tomorrow - I can determine what the actual capacity is. One of the drivers for getting the new set-up, in addition to getting an in-tank pump, was get the vertical tube type sending unit. The old sending unit finally died but, I always hated that the gauge always stayed on full for about 100 miles and then dropped like a rock.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Hello,

It is precisely a 20 gallon tank, measured upon its first fill up when I installed it.

Yes, I can heartily recommend the installation of the "armless" sending unit for purposes of operating dependability over the alternative. But the armless sender is certainly not fabulous on accuracy until it gets down to a quarter of a tank remaining. At that point, it is perfectly accurate.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

It is precisely a 20 gallon tank, measured upon its first fill up when I installed it.

Yes, I can heartily recommend the installation of the "armless" sending unit for purposes of operating dependability over the alternative. But the armless sender is certainly not fabulous on accuracy until it gets down to a quarter of a tank remaining. At that point, it is perfectly accurate.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks Rick. Yeah, as much as I hated the old sending unit, I'm afraid the new one will have similar problems because the tank is tapered and as it gets closer to the bottom (narrower) the depth of fuel will drop faster. I put exactly 5 gallons in initially and the gauge reads just a little over 1/4 full.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Good deal! Looks great Les! Did you use original hangar straps or ones to fit a 71-72? Or are they the same? One other question, the rubber filler adapter, did you have to make a bracket at the door opening or does it ride OK without bouncing around and hitting the frame? My original neck just sits in the hole but is solid metal as you know. I kind of want to up-grade since my original tank was baffled and works good, but, for some reason my Z28 fuel pump on a 4.3FI hanger vibrates the floor of the tank and is quite annoying at times making a loud howling kind of noise. And the fuel gauge is as described, full forever then drops like a rock!

Joe

·
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good deal! Looks great Les! Did you use original hangar straps or ones to fit a 71-72? Or are they the same? One other question, the rubber filler adapter, did you have to make a bracket at the door opening or does it ride OK without bouncing around and hitting the frame? My original neck just sits in the hole but is solid metal as you know. I kind of want to up-grade since my original tank was baffled and works good, but, for some reason my Z28 fuel pump on a 4.3FI hanger vibrates the floor of the tank and is quite annoying at times making a loud howling kind of noise. And the fuel gauge is as described, full forever then drops like a rock!

Joe
Thanks Joe,

I used the 71-72 hanger straps that came with the tank. They're a little different from the originals but, close enough that, I think, either would have worked. I didn't install a bracket/brace for the filler tube - yet - but I probably will. The filler tube sits perfectly in the door opening but, the weight of the fuel nozzle will probably cause the rubber adapter to flex. I'm thinking that, over time, the constant flexing, at fill-up, may cause the rubber to distort or be damaged. The new pump is much quieter than the in-line pump I was using. I think the "long on full and drop like a rock" is just a symptom of the swing arm/float design. Due to the front-to-back taper in the new tank, I'm afraid the new "armless" sender may still have some tendency for the gauge to drop faster as it gets closer to empty. I'll have to wait and see but, Rick could probably speak to that, since his has been in operation for a while. The whole set-up was a bit more expensive than I had in mind when I first thought about it but, over-all, I'm happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Thanks Joe,

I used the 71-72 hanger straps that came with the tank. They're a little different from the originals but, close enough that, I think, either would have worked. I didn't install a bracket/brace for the filler tube - yet - but I probably will. The filler tube sits perfectly in the door opening but, the weight of the fuel nozzle will probably cause the rubber adapter to flex. I'm thinking that, over time, the constant flexing, at fill-up, may cause the rubber to distort or be damaged. The new pump is much quieter than the in-line pump I was using. I think the "long on full and drop like a rock" is just a symptom of the swing arm/float design. Due to the front-to-back taper in the new tank, I'm afraid the new "armless" sender may still have some tendency for the gauge to drop faster as it gets closer to empty. I'll have to wait and see but, Rick could probably speak to that, since his has been in operation for a while. The whole set-up was a bit more expensive than I had in mind when I first thought about it but, over-all, I'm happy with the results.
Thanks Les, I'm gonna tuck this up-grade in my back pocket for when I get back to the ElCo. Other than the occasional howling from the tank everything works good and driving anywhere is pretty much problem free. Right now I'm about to stuff an LQ9 into an 86 Mustang convertible. Once I get it to the level of my ElCo I'll start whittling away at the various things that annoy me about it like the tank humming!

On a side note, while making room in my garage (for the Mustang) I sold my old 440 Mopar motor and trans to the neighbor that bought Ken's Satellite project! The best part was seeing Ken and telling him we miss him here, keeping distance of course!

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Yes, this armless sending unit is accurate at a quarter of a tank but yep, you had better start looking for a gas pump at that point. The drop after that happens quickly.

Rick

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought a baffled 17 gallon FI tank from Carid and ordered the 4.3 FI pump and sending unit from Dixie

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I bought a baffled 17 gallon FI tank from Carid and ordered the 4.3 FI pump and sending unit from Dixie
Do you have a part number for that tank? I don't have a baffled tank and have to keep over 1/4 all the time. I have starved the pump a couple times cornering. And I like to corner hard ;) Thanks
JC

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
There have been discussions, for years, about the lack of after-market fuel injection fuel tanks for 5th Gen El Caminos. The most common solution has been the adaptation of used Chev Caprice Wagon or Buick Roadmaster Wagon tanks. A couple of months ago, I saw a Facebook post about 1971-72 Chevy El Camino EFI Fuel Tank with Notched Corners, from Tanks Inc.. A subsequent conversation with forum member B52Bombadier (Rick) lead me to believe that tank could possible fit a 5th Gen. It does....It's a perfect fit except that the filler tube exits the Tanks Inc. tank about 1.5" farther to the rear than the stock tank - meaning it doesn't exactly line up with the fuel door. I solved that by cutting off and using the curved filler tube from the stock tank and a angled rubber adapter tube to make a "S" curve that corrected the alignment. Here are some pictures and a parts breakdown.
Tanks Inc.
Tank TM34KN-T $305
Pump GPA-2 $210
Sender (Universal tube type) 6" depth T-GML-06 $98
8" Rubber filler tube adapter (angled) 53C $11

Hey Les! How is the tank holding up? I just put your shopping list in my Summit shopping cart. My rigged china made hanger and Camaro fuel pump cost me a tow this morning. I ran every wire and dropped the tank and it ran great with the tank on the ground. Bolted everything back up and all was good enough to turn my ElCo around in the driveway just to have it die again. Everything tests good to the hanger and pump, grounds are checked out so the only thing left is somewhere within the tank. Either the cheap china made hanger and wiring or the pump itself. Either way, I'm going with your set-up, just wondering how happy you are with it?

Joe

·
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Joe. I'm still happy with it but, I haven't put many miles on the Camino since I installed it. I've gone through about a tank and a half and it's still working fine. I have had a couple of instances where the gauge sticks at empty for a mile, or so, after start-up but, I think the issue is with the Dakota Digital instrumentation because the same issue has happened with the oil pressure gauge. Probably a grounding issue. I just haven't gotten around to looking for the cause yet. Let me know if I can help.

Best

Les

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Hi Joe. I'm still happy with it but, I haven't put many miles on the Camino since I installed it. I've gone through about a tank and a half and it's still working fine. I have had a couple of instances where the gauge sticks at empty for a mile, or so, after start-up but, I think the issue is with the Dakota Digital instrumentation because the same issue has happened with the oil pressure gauge. Probably a grounding issue. I just haven't gotten around to looking for the cause yet. Let me know if I can help.

Best

Les
Thanks for the info Les! You are probably right about the DD dash. I would go back and twist all the connections at the DD dash module just to see what happens.

I picked up everything to make my system work today except the tank, seems it is out of stock and the expected delivery date is 11/24 2020. I do have one question though, did the tank come with gaskets or do I need to order some?

Joe

·
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The gaskets came with the pump and sending unit - not the tank.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
The gaskets came with the pump and sending unit - not the tank.
I ran into a bit of a SNAFU with the notched tank, after getting an email that my tank would be shipped after Dec 15, I began some more research. Turns out the un-notched tank is also on back order. So, after a lengthy google search something popped up, Summit lists part # TNK-TM34K-T-KIT. After a bunch of measuring I pulled the trigger since Summit listed 7 "Kits" available. Seems this kit comes with the tank, sender, and fuel pump for one price! ($477.99) I have my kit installed now and everything is fitting and working. I had one small problem with the supplied hanger straps being too short but luckily had a few longer bolts left over from my LS swap. These were bolts that hold the accessory drive to the head and block. I plan on shortening my original straps because I prefer the closed end at the rear mounting bolt, but so far so good.

The gaskets came with the kit but I did have to go back for the fuel pump strainer sock that oddly is not included, if it was it would be a plug and play kit other than the bolt issue and the strainer sock. I bought part #TNK-125-157 and worked perfectly!

For the filler neck, I just clocked it counter clockwise to around 11'oclock and bought a vented gas cap for a 71, probably overkill considering the 2 tank vents at the tank but oh well..... I also used a couple of hose clamps at the neck to tank joint and it sits a bit angled at the opening but not an issue. i plan on a bracket to keep it centered better soon.

Thanks for the genious idea of trying a tank for the 3rd gen and finding out it can be made to work! If Tanks Inc was smart they would make some appropriate fitting straps and a filler neck and market to the 5th gen ElCo owners!

Good job Les!

Joe

·
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ran into a bit of a SNAFU with the notched tank, after getting an email that my tank would be shipped after Dec 15, I began some more research. Turns out the un-notched tank is also on back order. So, after a lengthy google search something popped up, Summit lists part # TNK-TM34K-T-KIT. After a bunch of measuring I pulled the trigger since Summit listed 7 "Kits" available. Seems this kit comes with the tank, sender, and fuel pump for one price! ($477.99) I have my kit installed now and everything is fitting and working. I had one small problem with the supplied hanger straps being too short but luckily had a few longer bolts left over from my LS swap. These were bolts that hold the accessory drive to the head and block. I plan on shortening my original straps because I prefer the closed end at the rear mounting bolt, but so far so good.

The gaskets came with the kit but I did have to go back for the fuel pump strainer sock that oddly is not included, if it was it would be a plug and play kit other than the bolt issue and the strainer sock. I bought part #TNK-125-157 and worked perfectly!

For the filler neck, I just clocked it counter clockwise to around 11'oclock and bought a vented gas cap for a 71, probably overkill considering the 2 tank vents at the tank but oh well..... I also used a couple of hose clamps at the neck to tank joint and it sits a bit angled at the opening but not an issue. i plan on a bracket to keep it centered better soon.

Thanks for the genious idea of trying a tank for the 3rd gen and finding out it can be made to work! If Tanks Inc was smart they would make some appropriate fitting straps and a filler neck and market to the 5th gen ElCo owners!

Good job Les!

Joe
Great Joe. I'm glad it worked out. I wasn't aware that Summit sold Tanks' stuff. Yeah, I'm still thinking about how to best install a brace for the filler neck but, it works without one so, no real hurry.

Reactions: 87ls5.3

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Great Joe. I'm glad it worked out. I wasn't aware that Summit sold Tanks' stuff. Yeah, I'm still thinking about how to best install a brace for the filler neck but, it works without one so, no real hurry.
I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the pinch weld just above and to the right of the gas neck and fabricating a flat stock bracket to bolt to it with enough twist to secure it to the neck with a hose clamp. That's my best thought so far, but like you, it works. So no real hurry. :cool:

Joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts