El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read the threads pertaining to 5th. Gen replacement sending units you could conclude something "just ain't right" with the aftermarket units

Like another Elky owner commented I too replaced my sender with a new one from OPGI. And have had issues with it including.....

Would not read below 1/4 tank and not above 3/4 tank... So I dropped the new 22 gallon tank to check that the arm was not hanging up on something...It wasn't.

Then I wired the unit to work outside of the tank and it works fine... very responsive and full needle travel on the gage.

So I carefull re-installed the sender and filled the tank... Same issues... Have to drive for 5 minutes or so then the gage slowly moves to about 3/4 full and stops.

I ran the tank down until the gage was just in the "red" area and when I refueled found I still had over six gallons in the tank.

So as I left the gas station I ratcheted the steering wheel back in forth as if I were scrubbing the tires prior to the green flag..... and the damn needle worked its way up to 7/8 full in short order...

What the Hell is going on here :let_it_all_out:

I know several other folks are having similar issues... it would be nice to find the solution to this issue !

(And yes, I have a good ground....ran a wire directly from the battery to the ground wire on the sending unit.)

Is it possible the float arm is just too long and not allowing full travel of the mechanism which sends the signal to the gage ???

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
just cheap aftermarket stuff. and opg isnt cheapi just pulled the working 22 gallon sender and tank from my 86.the tank is trashed as i had to cut off the neck for my new plastic tank. if you need it send me a pm

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,603 Posts
Arnie , Hopefully someone will come along with a definitive answer for you . In the meantime ; wondering out loud , since there is a 17 and a 22 gallon tank , is there a different sending unit for the two tank sizes ? :dontknow: . Did you check the part number to verify they sent you the correct unit ? I purchased a sending unit for my 22 gal. tank from OPGI about year or so ago and fortunately it went well and reads correctly . Good luck .

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I verified that it was for a 22 gallon tank so I don't think that's the issue.
I can live with it as it is...when the gage is in the red I have about 6 gallons remaining.

But more then a few people seem to have encountered similar issues so it would be interesting to learn what is causing the new senders to behave as they do.

Arnie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts