El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of older posts about gas tank issues with the 5th Gen. and sender questions.
Haven't seen anything or much recently so I'm posting again.
My experience is that the 5th gen fuel tanks are hard to fill up because of the pump cutting off. I think a lot of GM vehicles did this because I worked at a full service gas station when I was young and they were a pain to fill up.
Anyway, my 86 I think has an original tank. 17 gal I'm pretty sure because there is no build code for the 22 in the glove box.
My gas gage was behaving crazily. I replaced the sender, with an AC Delco sender for the 17 gal tank. It is grounded well. When I fill it up with the gage on empty, I can drive maybe 50 miles before it registers any gas, then it goes to 3/4 full. I can drive 100 to 150 miles and it goes pretty rapidly to E. When I fill it up it could hold anywhere from 8 to 14 gallons depending on how much I drove. It does this every time I fill it up.....every time.
It is difficult to fill up with the fast gas pumps, cuts off a lot but seems to get full???

any ideas???

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Bad float?

I avoid the gas station closest to my house because the gas pump nozzle clicks off when I try to fill the tank. Don't have that problem at a couple stations further down the road. Maybe related to dispensing pressure of the pumps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 86 with the 22 gallon tank so my thought may be a little "apples and oranges". I have never had a problem filling Willits and when the pump clicks off, it is FULL.

However, I have seen several cars and suv's that have had a similar problem as you describe, including my daughters 2005 Mustang. Even with the TSB fix installed on her car it was a pain in the rear to get it filled at some stations. The fix for her car was to turn the nozzle upside down (hose above the tip) when filling and the problem totally went away. Being it worked so well for my daughter's car, when I saw a young lady with a late model Toyota 4 runner having the same problem at the local station, I suggested she tried that trick and it worked on her car/truck as well.

With the filler door hinged on the top, you won't be able to turn the nozzle completely upside down, but you might try rotating the nozzle as far as possible, left or right, and see if that helps the next time you fill. It cost nothing to try it and MAY eliminate a lot of aggravation if it works.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really would like to have a gas gage that works. I'm not that worried about filling up the tank, as long as I know how much is really in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts