El Camino Central Forum banner

5th gen horn button question

5K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Kevinthomas 
#1 ·
My 1985 el caminos horn button has some cracks in it and I am about to buy a replacement a.s.a.p. I was wanting to know how to remove it and how to put the new one on all info is appreciated.

#4 ·
no you dont have to take off the steering wheel. if you feel befind the steeringwheel on the back side of where youd press the horn there is 1 screw on each side and i beleive its like a 7mm screw head. just put a socket on it and take it out. its very simple to do. mine always loosen up on there own from my system

#7 ·
I'm sorry it seems there has been some miscommunication cause I used the wrong term. I am just wanting to remove the horn button/horn emblem from the horn pad as it is cracked and I want to replace it. The thing in the middle that has the bow tie in it sorry for the confusion.

#10 ·
You can just change out the horn center emblem. As mentioned unhook the battery then take off the "padded" horn bar via the two screws from behind. I find it alot easier to then "peel" the padded portion from the metal inner structure. You can then peel out the center emblem. Install is the reverse.

Hope that makes some sense.

#17 ·
Kevin, I have 16 store on e-bay that sale some form of El Camino / Caballero parts.

78-88 Monte Carlo Malibu El Camino OR montecarloparts (Same E-bay stores) Out of PA, I saw a black center piece for $32.00

rareelco10 He has a large E-bay store out of Riverside, CA and I only saw the complete steering wheels running from $49.99 to $79.99.

I wish I knew how to send pictures, etc but I don't. I 'm sure I spent over $1,500.00 with Robert from Riverside, Ca and Yes the guy in Pa got a few $$ from me also. Hope this helps. If not I'm retired so I'll look some more if you want. Michael in Virginia:smileyb::smileyb:

#18 ·
Kevin...is this the type of horn center you have? They could be had in a few different colors or trim if you will...

This is the what I call the horn bar and below the center emblem..

The black was used from 78-81 I believe..

Here are some of the other horn center emblems I have here...

I may even have a few others around here somewhere..

#23 ·
Well I have found my answer on how to do it I am currently looking for the center emblem of one that is not cracked so maybe I can buy it next week if money isn't tight. I haven't found one on ebay yet that isn't cracked but because of your helpfulness I am thinking of just replacing my steering wheel with this I do thank everyone for their help but think what you will. :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.