El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have an '85 Conquista that the previous owner scavenged a few parts off of. One of the parts removed seems to be the horn connnector. I pulled the steering wheel horn cover off, which looks like this:

Only it is missing the horn wire on the back (seen in the similar cover below).

There is no horn pad beneath it, however my Haynes manual describes a traditional, round horn pad.

My question is, am I missing something or will simple getting this wire:

solve my problem.

Thanks.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(here is the picture of the wire again, it didn't take the first time)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so I got the wire installed and... nothing. After tracing the connection from the horn back through the firewall and under the dash I found this:

That's a cut wire that, connects to the horn connection under the horn pad.

Does anyone know how to remove the shroud around the steering column? According to my manual, I need a tool to releave the snap ring on the lock plate:

I don't have this tool. I could probably fabricate something but is there an easier way to just remove the shroud.

I'm almost tempted to just cut it off since I'll likely be redoing the intererior at some point...

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Welcome from east Texas. I think Autozone, or O'Rielly will loan you the tool.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Well, "loan" is a misnomer. You can get one by paying the purchase price, use it, return it, and receive the purchase price back. But to walk in and say, "I need to borrow this", and they hand it to you and tell you to "return it when thru" isn't the case.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's possible to put a box end underneath the steering wheel nut and leverage the lock plate down to get at the wire ring. But the tool holds things down so it's easier. Get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts