El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my 1985 El Camino's power locks. When I bought it the passenger side lock switch didn't work at all but the drivers side would only unlock and not lock. Now neither of them do anything. I took off my door panels (to find a lot of electric and duct tape) and was looking at the switches I couldn't get them off for some reason I am thinking I was doing something wrong but does anyone have any idea.

P.S. The weatherstripping and window felts were bad (I just replaced them yesterday) could it be that water got in between the door and door panel and shorted or rusted something?

All help is appreciated thank you.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
your door lock switches can be removed bysliding a putty knife front & rearbetween the chrome trim & door panel to push release clip. Pull switch out & remove from connector. pry bottom of switch apart with small screwdrivers & clean contacts Switches have large contacts that corrode easily. This is most likely the cause. If you can,t disassemble or if switches are broken, they are common at most autoparts stores. Beyond that, the relay for both is in the ps dash & of course the solenoids themself. hope this helps. Had to clean my switches in 1993.

·
Registered
35 Posts
check the switch contacts too they will get weak conection sometimes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for all the info I will be checking it out as soon as I can. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I just pry the switches off? Cause there is this blue thing that says turn and I turned the hell out of it and nothing :neutral2: Double checking before I break something. :poke:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,804 Posts
You turn & then pull the blue cap off, Then take the switch off.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol well I do indeed feel stupid I turned that thing for like 10min. :smileyb:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The drivers side lock now works haven't checked the passenger because I have been getting to much rain to do anything. :nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem I still haven't got to cleaning the passenger side switch yet if it's not lots of rain it's 105 degrees outside. :let_it_all_out: But I may be getting to it tomorrow I hope so it's those little things that bug you the most I tell ya.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
No problem I still haven't got to cleaning the passenger side switch yet if it's not lots of rain it's 105 degrees outside. :let_it_all_out: But I may be getting to it tomorrow I hope so it's those little things that bug you the most I tell ya.
You send that rain down to Texas and I will come to your house and "fix yer switch" for FREE!!!:nanawrench:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both switches now work the drivers side needed cleaning an the passenger side needed cleaning and plugged in. Thanks everyone for the help.

P.S. Still nothing but rain :dontknow:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Both switches now work the drivers side needed cleaning an the passenger side needed cleaning and plugged in. Thanks everyone for the help.

P.S. Still nothing but rain :dontknow:
I hope my problem is like yours! Passenger side door lock works, but the driver side doesn't! I'll check it out once the rain goes away.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Had the same problem,followed the same procedure.Cleaned the contacts,works fine.Usually the drivers side has the issue.I think from driving around with the window down and the rain drips in....and it gets more use than the other side does.

·
Registered
50 Posts
'82 El Cam

In troubleshooting power locks not working... and not wanting to take apart the door panels (yet)... would the following confirm where the problem is:

Step A: at the power lock relay (behind inner right kick), hook up volt ohm meter, black to ground, red to orange/blk wire. (I confirm 12.5v)

Step B: at power lock relay, hook up volt ohm black to ground, red to black lead on relay, press the door lock switch to unlock. Should I be able to read 12.5v at this time? I get nothing (switch lock or unlock on either black or blue connector).

Step C: To confirm no wiring opens in blue or black, I also tested the black and blue wires at the connectors located behind both the lh and rh kick panels. Still no voltage to ground as switch is engaged. To confirm power at the connectors I tested the orange wire and did get 12.5V.

Would this indicate a switch malfunction? Or am I incorrectly testing?

·
Registered
671 Posts
good post and I removed my door lock switches cleaned and put back.. same problem nothing but a click sound , next to find the relay where I'm hearing the click sound. Any other hints ? ? Thanks....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts