El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1983 El Camino SS - Choo Choo Custom
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to replace passenger side Qtr window seal on my '83. I used the post below (and others for reference to get started) but discovered there's a little more to it then removing plastic trim & the window clamps (because you cant get to one of them easily).
Quarter window removal | El Camino Central Forum
I'll attempt to document the process I used (go easy on the rookie posting).
  • Remove plastic trim as noted
  • Window clamps #1, 2 & 3 can be easily accessed (7mm), but not the case with #4

- To access retaining clamp #4: ref pic below
~ Pull back weather strip carefully (#1)
~ Remove 3 screws that secure trim piece #2, carefully pull it away from the window frame (it has adhesive in addition to the 3 screws). I only pulled it out enough to access the two screws
~ Now window clamp screws (#3) can be removed
~ Remove window trim on front, three plastic clips hold it in place - go easy, these are hard to find
~ Remove two small trim screws (#5) which retain the back window trim

IMG_1719_LI.jpg

Window trim

- Now the messy part, use a long utility knife blade (or equivalent), to remove as much adhesive as you can in order to loosen the window. Once loose, push window to the inside to remove.

- With glass removed, from the inside - remove the two screws that hold the seal in place

That's all there is to it (other than the clean up for re-install)! May have Safelite install the glass when the time comes.
Hope this helps,
Gabe

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice job! It doesn't look like yours was leaking much prior to replacing the seals. When I did mine I found a few good sized rust holes hidden where water had gotten in. So long as you use a good window sealant, it isn't hard to reinstall the glass.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job! It doesn't look like yours was leaking much prior to replacing the seals. When I did mine I found a few good sized rust holes hidden where water had gotten in. So long as you use a good window sealant, it isn't hard to reinstall the glass.
Thanks. Mine wasn't leaking past the glass at all, but had some surface rust under the seal (passenger side). The drivers side looks as new. Have Safelite coming tomorrow to repair a windshield chip & I'm going to try and talk them into hooking me up with some sealant for the quarter glass. If not, I'll find some elsewhere and do it myself. Gabe

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone advise what sealant they've used to reinstall glass? I see 3M 08612 Window Weld Round Ribbon Sealer 3/8" x15' but has mixed reviews,. I like the notion of a preformed ribbon. What I removed was some nasty stuff.

·
Senior Member Participating Member
928 Posts
Gabe your right about the three plastic clips.I looked hi and low for these clips.6 are required. Found them on Overstock! I think I got the last new ones in existence. 😮

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up installing the qtr glass myself. Used a bead of this around the circumference and two at the bottom.
Was pretty easy to work with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts