El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting around to painting my 84 and I'm removing all the trim and replacing all my rubber window seals. My question is, How do you remove the quarter window seals to replace them? Are they held on with clips that are also going to need to be replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,055 Posts
I just finished doing the ones on my '87.

You need to remove the moldings around the interior and exterior to really be able to get to the clips and remove the glass to get to the exterior seals (window felts).

Once you have the moldings removed and the clips that hold the glass in place, I used a thin flexible putty knife that I sharpened the end to remove the glass CAREFULLY from the exterior.

Once the glass is out you can remove the 1/4 window felts that were held in by 1/8" rivets on mine.

I got replacement window felts from this guy on eBay, very nice set of repro's:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/78-87-El-Camino-Quarter-Window-Outer-Felt-Rubber-Molding-Pair-w-Chrome-Bead-NEW/252014982945?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
918 Posts
Good that you are removing the quarter window sealing strips for a proper paint job.

Did my 84. Yes, you have to remove the glass to get the sealing strips off. Full trim removal inside and out. On the inside, after removing all the trim around the glass, there are clips that hold in the glass. Held in with 7mm hex head screws on mine. They're metal and reusable. You'll have to remove the door upper weatherstripping and channel to get to the one(s) that hold in the front clip(s). At least that's how it was on my '84. Use a heat gun to soften the butyl sealer around the window, peel away what butyl you can and eventually (still heating the sealer to soften as needed) push the glass it in to remove it. On my 84, the sealing strips were held in with small x-head screws rather than rivets, also buried under more butyl sealer. I also got my replacement strips from the vendor at Bruce's ebay link and am happy with their product. I only had to work the replacement sealing strips a little to get them to fit to my liking. I also got my replacement butyl sealer on ebay. As you'll see from the stuff you remove, the original butyl sealer was pretty thick.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quarter window seals

Sounds like a lot of work. Mine doesn't leak, the rubber is just cracking. Anybody ever just cut the plastic section off the bottom of the originals then do the same to the new ones and just glue them back in place? I just want them off to get a good paint job and to clean up the look when it's done.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Sounds like a plan!

Mine are in the same condition! No leaks just cosmetic on the rubber. I'm going to re-look at mine to see if this could work! Interested to see any comments why or why not? :bigups:

IMG_4281.JPG

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
My driver's side glass is shattered I haven't had time to look at taking it apart. I've clear taped it inside and out to hold the pieces together. I really need to get it done.

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
RandyCamino52
"My driver's side glass is shattered "

Must be dear season in Oklahoma.
Remember to paint C.O.W. on your cow.

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
918 Posts
Ross - sounds reasonable. Although the curve on the repro strips may not exactly match the original. So to just razor cut them at the metal strip may not sit flush. Would be unfortunate to mis-cut new $30 sweeps then have to buy more. If just replacing the rubber maybe you could get a cheapo door sweep from the hardware or department store, trim off the rubber and use that. - Jim

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Good point!

Plus the paint line would be different! :bigups:

Ross - sounds reasonable. Although the curve on the repro strips may not exactly match the original. So to just razor cut them at the metal strip may not sit flush. Would be unfortunate to mis-cut new $30 sweeps then have to buy more. If just replacing the rubber maybe you could get a cheapo door sweep from the hardware or department store, trim off the rubber and use that. - Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts