El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5th Gen rack and pinion conversion kits.

Has anybody done this? I have been looking but can't find any info for the 5th gen's.:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
hey Robert.. i found something on Gbody Forum a couple of years ago. A complete non power rack and pinion set up. Since I wanted it for my DD.. i decided i needed power steering. I'll see if i can find the info..

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,707 Posts
It's been several years since this subject was addressed. Anyone currently running a rack and pinion in their 5th Gen? From a brief search, Unisteer seems to be the only Mfr with a comprehensive kit. Anyone with any experience with them or, know of a different source? Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
@Skylarkul I'm also curious to know.
BTW, what advantages does rack/pinion create?
Are they bolt on systems available that don't require welding/fabricating!?
Do they shave weight? Use same power steering pump?
Thxs

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,707 Posts
@Skylarkul I'm also curious to know.
BTW, what advantages does rack/pinion create?
Are they bolt on systems available that don't require welding/fabricating!?
Do they shave weight? Use same power steering pump?
Thxs
I'm thinking about this because - even though my 83 has virtually new ball joints and tie rod end and a rebuilt jeep steering box, the steering is way looser than I would like. Rack and pinion is supposed to remove all the slop.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I researched this and the suspension gurus say you have to change the whole sub frame for this to work... That you need to get a sub frame that was set up for the rack n pinion. Just swapping linkage for a rack is never going to work unless shaving 50 lbs off the front end is your only goal..

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,463 Posts
I'm thinking about this because - even though my 83 has virtually new ball joints and tie rod end and a rebuilt jeep steering box, the steering is way looser than I would like. Rack and pinion is supposed to remove all the slop.
Hey Les, Did you change the GM stock intermediate steering shaft to the jeep cherokee shaft to replace the rag joint when you installed the jeep box ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
There are several guys working on Jeeps at the local auto hobby shop where I am working on and upgrading a replacement frame for my '87 elky. The other day, I was talking with one of them and mentioned I was looking for a jeep steering shaft. I gave him the years and models and he says"I have a spare which I'm not going to use". He finds it in his pile of stuff and gave it to me. :)

I noticed there is not rag joint--both ends are free, functioning and articulate.What should I look for and need to do to this steering shaft to get is ready to install, beside clean-up and a few coats of paint.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
There are several guys working on Jeeps at the local auto hobby shop where I am working on and upgrading a replacement frame for my '87 elky. The other day, I was talking with one of them and mentioned I was looking for a jeep steering shaft. I gave him the years and models and he says"I have a spare which I'm not going to use". He finds it in his pile of stuff and gave it to me. :)

I noticed there is not rag joint--both ends are free, functioning and articulate.What should I look for and need to do to this steering shaft to get is ready to install, beside clean-up and a few coats of paint.
The box end needs nothing it will bolt right up. The column end has the locking bolt off center not like the rag shaft that is in the center. You will have to grind a groove on the side to clear the lock bolt. I have heard the shaft need to be cut and re-welded to center the steering wheel but my plan is center the steering and remove the rag and install the box joint then un-lock my steering column and line up the shaft, grind the notch, tighten then go remove the steering wheel(I have a new Grant steering wheel in mind) then install lined up straight. That way my steering box will still be centered and the column won't really matter any more.

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts