El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if they make a rear bumper without holes for impact strips. I tried talking to a guy at a show who also has an El Camino and he told me that he bought a bumper from Original parts group. They keep sending him the ones with the holes and he sent it back twice. So the third time he just gave in and bought bolts for the rear bumper. I have the smooth type with no holes at all for the front. So the rear one I am looking for the same. Looked on line and found nothing.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have seen both types on almost every supplier,OPGI,NPD,El Camino Store,E-Bay etc.The holes for impact strip are in the grove for the strip.There are other holes in the bumper that are not in the grove & they have bolts in them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh, you mean without the bolt holes? I don't know haha wow I just looked stupid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 87 was in an accident and I wanted both front and rear bumpers WITH the trim strip holes. We found rear bumpers can be pruchased with or without trim strip holes, but front bumpers with holes have been discontinued (even thought the trim strips are availible for both bumpers). Go figure.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Rear bumpers without the impact strip have holes for bumper bolts to mount the bumper to the reinforcement.
Rear bumpers with impact srtips have these holes plus holes for mounting the impact strip. There are no rears bumpers that match the totally smooth front non impact strip fronts.

That being said, companies like dynacorn make new front and rears. The rears can be bought either way with impact strip mounting holes or without. The only front they make is the smooth w/o impact strip holes. They have not been discontinued, they never made them in the aftermarket. I've sent inquiries on a few occassions asking if they had plans to make to the front with holes and always get the same answer, "not at this time". I believe it's because they are/were under the assumption that the front pads are NLA. That's true for GM pads, unless you find an NOS set. But, the front pads are being made as aftermarket parts. They aren't the best quality and tend to look puckered when the bolts are tightened., even if let a bit loose trying to avoid the ripple effect.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that Bobby! I was hoping for a completely smooth like my front, but I will have to live with it I guess.

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
601 Posts
I have a very nice rear bumper that did not have impact strips for sale removed it when I installed a rear roll pan with the stock lights. Chrome is in great condition. If your interested PM me but since it is all the way in Texas shipping would be rather high. Harald K :texas:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts