El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off it is a sad day for my sons 5th gen, he got hit and it is totaled. We are looking at a 78 Nova my question is does anybody know if the rear end can be swapped between the 2 cars? we just put 3:42 gears and a positrac unit with new axles in the elco and would love to be able to put that setup in the Nova.

Side note I will probably have a solid 305/th350 for sale if anybody is in the kansas city are and in need, also has fresh front brake setup with rotors, pads, and calipers, along with new bearing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the Nova has a Leaf Spring Rear,,
maybe/could be ether a Mono-Leaf or Multi-Leaf suspension like Camaro's..
did the wreck get into the wheel/tire ??
if not
you just need a Door and some Bodywork,,
depending on the rust ??
JJ, no wheel and tire are fine but it has rust on both door and bed side, we would have to replace the entire bed side on that side and a new door. all in all not terribly difficult but without a welder or access to one it is more than we can tackle. the door wouldnt be that bad it needs new door pins to the door has to come off anyway but I still dont know how bad it is in the door seal area of the car as the door will not open at all. we are going to part it out still has a good strong engine and trans in it plus 3:42 gears and posi with new moser axles so lots of usable parts.
he is also looking at an 86 elco with an 80 front clip and an LT1 with 4l60 in it not sure which direction he is going to go yet.

·
Registered
11,834 Posts
a good bodyman, with the right tools can fix that..
to get the door open
probly need to pull the front/quarter back forward,
that might take most of the tension off the door latch..
just pull it all back out close, and drive it till the wheels fall-off,
or get some estimates to just get it ruffed-in or close, and yall finish it..
may not need a whole bed-panel, sometimes that's even more work..

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
a good bodyman, with the right tools can fix that..
to get the door open
probly need to pull the front/quarter back forward,
that might take most of the tension off the door latch..
just pull it all back out close, and drive it till the wheels fall-off,
or get some estimates to just get it ruffed-in or close, and yall finish it..
may not need a whole bed-panel, sometimes that's even more work..
I know one of those guys. The latch is probably blocked by the door skin. Most of the time I cut the entire skin with an air hammer and chisel around the perimeter and remove. After gaining access to the latch, most times you can open the door by operating the latch now that the interference is cleared. On some occasions I have had to cut the door around the latch and open the door with the latch still attached to the pillar! There does look like some damage to the pillar but it does look like it held up pretty good. I would replace the entire 1/4 from the middle of the glass to the rocker and back to the bumper so I would have to use minimal filler. Also, to gain access to that outer wheelhouse, it's bent in pretty good.

Joe

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I know one of those guys. The latch is probably blocked by the door skin. Most of the time I cut the entire skin with an air hammer and chisel around the perimeter and remove. After gaining access to the latch, most times you can open the door by operating the latch now that the interference is cleared. On some occasions I have had to cut the door around the latch and open the door with the latch still attached to the pillar! There does look like some damage to the pillar but it does look like it held up pretty good. I would replace the entire 1/4 from the middle of the glass to the rocker and back to the bumper so I would have to use minimal filler. Also, to gain access to that outer wheelhouse, it's bent in pretty good.

Joe
Oh, one more thing I forgot. Those older latches had an opening on the back side and sometimes I could back out the striker bolt with the latch still on it! The striker bolt washers back then were threaded on the bolt and would come off. There was still a need for a heavy pry-bar though!

Joe

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
JJ, no wheel and tire are fine but it has rust on both door and bed side, we would have to replace the entire bed side on that side and a new door. all in all not terribly difficult but without a welder or access to one it is more than we can tackle. the door wouldnt be that bad it needs new door pins to the door has to come off anyway but I still dont know how bad it is in the door seal area of the car as the door will not open at all. we are going to part it out still has a good strong engine and trans in it plus 3:42 gears and posi with new moser axles so lots of usable parts.
he is also looking at an 86 elco with an 80 front clip and an LT1 with 4l60 in it not sure which direction he is going to go yet.
Sorry to see that. I wish I had a place near you with a shop. Hate to see another ElCamino go. On the other hand, there is potential for re-gaining some cash to use on another project by parting out. If you aren't in too much of a rush though, maybe you could get lucky and find another G-Body ElCo and already have the parts car ready?

And if it comes to parts selling...............Put me down for the left front wheel opening molding if it's still nice!

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to see that. I wish I had a place near you with a shop. Hate to see another ElCamino go. On the other hand, there is potential for re-gaining some cash to use on another project by parting out. If you aren't in too much of a rush though, maybe you could get lucky and find another G-Body ElCo and already have the parts car ready?

And if it comes to parts selling...............Put me down for the left front wheel opening molding if it's still nice!

Joe
will do 87ls, looks like Momma is trying to talk us into keeping it around in case we need to move anything big. she is trying to hunt down doors and what not I may just pull the bedside as close as I can and back fill it, UNLESS I can talk her into a welder. then I would absolutely get a new bedside and just cut in a new one. I will keep yall in the loop if it does end up getting parted out I will post several pics and what parts are still usable.
might see me posting on the body forum soon 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
965 Posts
Did the insurance company total it? You can argue/negotiate with them, or, failing that, buy it back and rebuild it. That isn’t that bad; I doubt the door opening took much if any damage other than the jamb pulled back. Be careful removing the door so you don’t make it worse. Save the glass! (Maybe the regulator, too). You may get lucky and find a Malibu door or an Elky door without glass. Like you said, the quarter might could be pulled out. (Not an ideal repair but better than junking it).
Patrick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the support, and yes absolutely saving any glass!!!!!! I think the regulator is probably a loss but they are cheap and easy to replace. we needed new doors and door pannels anyway so its not money lost. yes they did total it out and we got salvage rights so it is already back in the garage and paid for by insurance. now we just need to clear out room in my garage so I can actually start working on this thing.
side note my son did decide on the nova so looks like we will have a 78 nova and the 80 el camino in the driveway hopefully both in one piece before too long lol. I will post what parts we need when we get there and thanks again for the advise!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
You’re welcome. Double check the regulator availability though; I think they’re hard to find. As bad as my door was we saved the regulator from it because my donor door came without it. (I think the guy I got it from bought a whole door just to get a regulator because he sold me the door and glass).
Patrick

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
will do 87ls, looks like Momma is trying to talk us into keeping it around in case we need to move anything big. she is trying to hunt down doors and what not I may just pull the bedside as close as I can and back fill it, UNLESS I can talk her into a welder. then I would absolutely get a new bedside and just cut in a new one. I will keep yall in the loop if it does end up getting parted out I will post several pics and what parts are still usable.
might see me posting on the body forum soon 🤷‍♂️
My friend, if your wife is cool with keeping the ElCo you have major credits towards purchasing a new welder! Best of luck! You are blessed!

Joe

·
Registered
11,834 Posts
yea, she might be a keeper [the wife],, keep the Elky for sure..
absolutely if the outside door handle don't work right, [un-lock it too]
try the inside door handle,
cut the skin off, or at least a access hole,, and go to town..
but I would expect the latch to be in some sort of a bind..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts