El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the trim around the rear window made out of? Also can it be chromed I was trying to get a quote and the man on the phone said he thinks it's some kind of aluminum or stainless steel and may just look like chrome. It has been painted over on my el camino and we chipped some of the paint and saw it and it looked much like chrome but I know nothing about cars.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I thought it is stainless,, when I get home tonight I will look in my GM body guide,, I think it states for sure in there,, will double check,,matty man

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay Thank you I'm just wondering if it can be chrome plated. If not could I have the paint taken off and polish it or something?

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
the actual window trim that is painted on yours is anodized aluminum. the only way to polish is to remove the anodizing - not easy. some say oven cleaner while others say sand it off and then polish. I tried the oven cleaner and it didn't work for me. So I sanded it and painted it with an adhesion promoter and trim black.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's definitely anodized aluminum. You can sand off the faded anodizing with 320 grit sandpaper. Use a rubber block. I just did the trim around my windshield, but to make it a little less tedious, I just sanded, then polished the thin higher channel on the moulding, and painted the wider channel black. And yes, it can be chrome plated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts